Chimney Liner Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damifino

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped with my old questions on chimney liners. Now looking for new advise on liners. 1) How many years should a stainless liner last? 2) Are the flex kits on e-Bay as good as any other? 3) Do I have to get a insulated liner since my chimney is on a outside wall of the house and half of chimney will be exposed to the cold. My chimney is block and brick with a 11x7 inch clay liner and I will use 25' of 6" liner.

Thanks

I'm going through the same thing now with an exterior masonry chimney. This is the same chimney I've had an old Russo smoke dragon venting into for the last 15 years with no problem.

It is STRONGLY suggested to use an insulated liner. If it is to be inspected, your inspecter may mandate it. If there are any cracked flue tiles or the liner will be touching the masonry at any point, then it must be insulated to HT 2100 degrees F.

In addition, the newer more efficient stoves are more sensitive to draft & give off a cooler exhaust. This could lead to a lot more creosote formation. The insulation helps alleviate these problems. To fit down an 11x7 flue & then through the damper area, you will probably have to "ovalize" the pipe slightly.

I'm just a long term wood burner. This is info I have gleaned from the ********** website.
Good Luck
Al

I put in a flexible stainless liner 2 seasons ago. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I do remember that I ordered one with a smooth inside for easier cleaning. I did not insulate the liner and my chimney is on the outside wall. I have had no problems with the liner so far. I have also cleaned it out myself in the spring (twice now) and there has been minimal buildup of creosote inside the pipe. can't say enough for seasoned wood and good hot fires.

all that being said I still sometimes regret not going with the insulated liner for two reasons. first I usually don't do things half way and at the time I was only laziness and money that kept me from doing the insulated liner. second I can't help but wonder if I would get noticeably better performance out of my insert if liner was insulated.

FYI: stainless liner is about 20' long overall and I also had to "ovalize" the bottom to fit through the old damper opening.

Back