Chinkapin oak bareroot worry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoosier

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well 5 years ago I planted a bareroot chinkapin oak and it has finally, after the first 3 years of not taking off - being eaten back by rabbits and dying back a bit in the driest part of the summers in Eastern Indiana - it's looking like it will be ok, it's around 5.5 feet now.
I only plant bare root and have a white oak, a swamp white oak, two chinkapin oaks, and one northern red oak in my half acre yard.
I think the die back in the driest part of summers was due to me misplanting the bareroot sapling 5 years ago. I think I didn't get the soil tamped down enough, cracks or voids formed and that allowed the roots to get dried out around the wall of the dug hole. Two years ago I soaked the soil and poked the soil to get rid of cracks or voids - the tree has done great since.
My question is if the tree will likely become root bound in the future?
Hopefully I'm worried over nothing.
Thanks.

If you dug a big enough hole at the get go and spread the roots out, I don’t see how they could get root bound.

Root bound by what? Soil, no. Hundreds of millions of bareroot seedlings are planted with dibble bars where the soil is pushed one way (no real hole dug), then pushed the other, tree stuck in, then soil pushed back against the roots. Almost all of them live. The roots are out of that tiny pocket within a year and then they have free reign of the rest of the yard.

Now...if the whole yard was compacted after the top soil was removed during construction and then coated with the heavy lifeless clay dug up from the basement which was compacted again to smear it smooth...yes, the tree will have difficulties dealing with growing in compacted soil regardless of how it was planted. But that's different than what is usually mean by "root bound" like potted plants.

Latest posts

Back