Choosing correct felling wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineeringnerd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'd like to purchase a good assortment of felling wedges. I already have a few cheap 8" and 10" plastic single tapers. I am considering purchasing a few K&H Triple Tapers. I'm concerned the aggressive "ramp" will tend to sink into the wood versus lifting the tree.

In brief, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a triple versus a double, versus a single taper in real use and do they reduce the need for stacking wedges? Can you safely stack triple tapers if necessary?

I mainly cut oak, maple, pine, and sweetgum.

No need to overthink wedges. The K&H single tapers are about my favorite wedges out there. I've not yet been disappointed with one. A good wedge is one that won't deform easily and move a tree. It's amazing to watch a little ol' wedge move a 140' tree. They're worth their weight in gold.

You might try this question over in the Forestry and Logging forum. You'll likely get more bites.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Ever have one shoot back? I've seen them take out windows before (cheap red/white ones) I'm using a metal one now that has notches cut in it, it was only 13 bucks but it dose the trick.

Thanks for input, moving to logging section

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to take Fishhuntcutwood's advice and try the logging forum to see what they have to say.

Brush_Monkey said:
Ever have one shoot back? I've seen them take out windows before (cheap red/white ones) I'm using a metal one now that has notches cut in it, it was only 13 bucks but it dose the trick.

I had one pop back on me once, but it never was as exciting as hitting a window...

Latest posts

Back