chopping 1.3 million trees!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
Since we have been talking about cutting down trees I read that they are going to be "chopping" 1.3 million trees in Portugal. Its going to be for a man made lake (Europes largest). The resovoir will flood nearly 62,000 acres and extend 50 miles in southeastern Portugal. Anyone loggers needing work?---I found you a job!!!! HAHA

Darin

What form do trees in Portugal have? Are they commercially-valuable, or are they just going to "chop" them down. It would be nice to also "chop" them up into something valuable. :) If they remove the fibre from the future lake bottom, then the lake would stand a better chance of supporting a fishery as the decaying wood would consume Oxygen in the water. What do Portugese fish look like?

It actually was a very small article. Here is what it says:
Construction in Portugal on a huge new reservoir, described as Europe's largest man made lake, was set to begin recently with the felling of 1.3 million trees, The Associated Press reported. Cutting all the trees is expected to take about a year.
The resovoir will flood nearly 62,000 acres and extend 50 miles in southeastern Portugal. A 315 foot high dam across the Guadiana River is to be completed next year, after which the reservoir will begin filling. The dam will generate hydroelectric power for the region, and provide water to turn the dry region into a fertile farming and tourist area. Environmentalists say it wil be a disaster.

Nothing about fish or oxygen. Oh well maybe they will update us in a year.
Darin

Haven't read the article but I imagine it's hardwood and not necessarily an untouched stand. Probably a hack, slash and burn operation, but I do smell some veneer.

Wonder how many outfits they have running to clear 62,000 acres in only a year... holy cow!

Latest posts

Back