climbing white pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rope is just the throw line after a miss. I am all over those dead limbs but never without being ready to break one off. I kick them before I use one to put my weight on. I think it would be an eyesore if I pruned the tree. Let others enjoy it the way I do, natural. Their is someone there. My gf was with me the first time and a friend the second. I also have a walkie talkie in case they wonder off.

Good to hear you experience the problems with the short rope use, Moray. The treemaster will become a lanyard at times.

The last third of the tree looks rather daunting. It's splits into three trunks. Any advise as how to choose the healthiest lead? I am supposing the thickest with the most live branches. And I seen activity up there. I suppose it's a popular place for big birds to hang out seeing it's the highest tree in the land. I'll try to remember the camera which I forgot the on the second climb and post some better pics.

I've managed to make the money back on my gear doing pruning jobs on some of my customers places. :clap: Thanks for the help guys.

Up in the white pine today. Man, was it a nice day today. Started late again so didn't get to the top. Just wanted to post something to say, "what's up" to everyone.
I go up to 60' tonight. It's becoming effortless to pull myself up. I am still perplexed on different ways to get around the tree and fighting gravity. At sixty feet I still can't see the top. It's like a whole other tree up there. The branches look crowded and difficult to place a throw line to at the next level. But I'll find a way. I am almost above the other trees of the forest so the good part is to come. To be able to see to the south will be new to me. Sorry no questions this post. I am getting the hang of this climbing thing. Thanks guys for helping me to the heights. :rockn:

Another White Pine

Since my neighbor's 95-foot white pine is due for a "crown reduction" by the local arborist in a few days, I decided to climb it and enjoy a view that will soon be gone forever.

First photo shows the SRT anchor setup at base of tree (40" diameter). Climbing rope is attached with butterfly knot.

attachment.php

Second photo shows detail of anchor setup. The small rope above the Loopie is there to guarantee the geometry of the anchor won't change when I am up above and allow the rope to go slack. The single wrap the little rope takes around the biner prevents the climbing rope from slipping down next to the biner gate.

attachment.php

Third photo shows one of the views from 75 feet, looking over downtown.

attachment.php

Nice looking setup there, moray. Nice looking town.

Here's a few pics of my essential knots and view. I am only half way up. I am interested to see to the east after moving up above the tree line hopefully in the next climb. Darkness has been the reason I haven't made it to the top yet. When the weather cools some more and I get a brake from working on the house I'll do a morning climb and get to the top.

whitepineclimb008.jpg

whitepineclimb014.jpg

whitepineclimb015.jpg

Finally made it to the top today. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get back to dial up. Not much to see, my batteries went dead before I got to the top. Love this tree climbing good for everything about oneself.

Finally made it to the top today. I'll post pics tomorrow when I get back to dial up. Not much to see, my batteries went dead before I got to the top. Love this tree climbing good for everything about oneself.

I meant when I get back to cable, sorry.

First pic is of the tree again.
First, I threw a line up to about 30'. Climbed to it. Then reset with the 'arborplex' to the higher throw line(which I had left in the tree from the last climb). Climbing on 70' of rope is really tiring as some of you might know. I took my 'true blue' with me after climbing the first leg with it.
Then at about 60' I retied again (with a throw line you can't see in the pic) and ascended to 75'. Leaving my 'arborplex' for the descent.
At 75' feet I thought I would throw another line but once up there I could see in the canopy. I didn't bring any snips with me and I would have needed them.
It gets pretty knarley up there with limbs. I got to thinking of sap bleeding out of the cuts and figured I wouldn't be able to see any better up further seeing the greenery was much fuller. And the fact that Catherine (gf) was reminding me I had to put up the storms before it got dark. :greenchainsaw: (third pic)

thepine.jpg

This setup is working well for me. No movement of the biners to worry about. Note the mini biner holing the ropes together.

spreaderclip.jpg

Gf looking out for me.

catdownbelow.jpg

This is a great tree to climb. After several attempts I am pretty good at it. And, "look mom, no sap". :clap: Thanks for the help guys. :clap:

Back