Combat Engineers and Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since it's Veteran's Day.

Our infantry company always had two combat engineers assigned to us when we were in the bush. On one particular mission, reacting to an ambush on the convoy between Pleiku and Kontum March '69, the engineers were humping a chainsaw, fuel and bar oil in addition to their regular load of 20# of C4, det. cord, blasting caps etc. This was in addition the usual load of war gear (M16 & ammo). One fellow had the chain saw and the other was humping two 2 gal cans (metal) of fuel and both of their M16s. They must have had close to 100# each on their backs. This was in hilly terrain in dense forest.

The saw looked like something the Army would buy. Built like a tank w/14 ish bar. Must have weighed 25+#. O.D. green, natch.

Gotta admire them fellows.

A month later I had the oppertunity to borrow the saw from them when we were building a firebase. Cut small trees to use to suport overhead in our bunkers. First time I ever used a gasoline saw. I had used an electric one at home and was the only fellow in our platoon who knew anything about them. Had a manual oiler.

Engineers instructed my platoon leader that only "that little Shake & Bake" was to operate it as the others ran the bar in the dirt and ruined the teeth.

Delta Co., 1st Bat., 8th Inf, 4th Inf Div. clash of '69.

Wecome home.

:cheers:...and thanks for your service to this great country.

Since it's Veteran's Day.

Our infantry company always had two combat engineers assigned to us when we were in the bush. On one particular mission, reacting to an ambush on the convoy between Pleiku and Kontum March '69, the engineers were humping a chainsaw, fuel and bar oil in addition to their regular load of 20# of C4, det. cord, blasting caps etc. This was in addition the usual load of war gear (M16 & ammo). One fellow had the chain saw and the other was humping two 2 gal cans (metal) of fuel and both of their M16s. They must have had close to 100# each on their backs. This was in hilly terrain in dense forest.

The saw looked like something the Army would buy. Built like a tank w/14 ish bar. Must have weighed 25+#. O.D. green, natch.

Gotta admire them fellows.

A month later I had the oppertunity to borrow the saw from them when we were building a firebase. Cut small trees to use to suport overhead in our bunkers. First time I ever used a gasoline saw. I had used an electric one at home and was the only fellow in our platoon who knew anything about them. Had a manual oiler.

Engineers instructed my platoon leader that only "that little Shake & Bake" was to operate it as the others ran the bar in the dirt and ruined the teeth.

Delta Co., 1st Bat., 8th Inf, 4th Inf Div. clash of '69.

Wecome home.

There were several different saws that were used in SEA. It may have been a Remington model 754, Vietnam edition.

vietnam

my brother was with 84th engineers he spoke about the same, my brother ran spredcat than Special ops with americal div.

dad was in korea 50-52 first marine div they received the dignified title
"the Chozin Few" 1-3-7

i was in army 1975-83 tank mechanic/recovery sergeant
armor school instructor
2-6 cav
2/2 armor cav-bamberg 77-79
4th Inf 79-80
3rd inf 80-83
nephew Iraq 3 trips

There were several different saws that were used in SEA. It may have been a Remington model 754, Vietnam edition.

I remember it had 'Remington' on it but not much else. The oiler was on the left of the handle I believe and you pumped it with your thumb. Overall the bar looked like a popcicle stick poking out of a concrete block. Beat the **** out of a machete.

Remington 754G Built around 1968

wright014.jpg

wright008.jpg

wright007.jpg

wright006.jpg

wright011.jpg

wright012.jpg

wright013.jpg

I was (and will always be) a 12B, BOOM BOOM BABY!

We only had poulan 3400's. C-4 can make an abatis a helluva lot quicker.

Combat engineer,drove the guntruck.
we didnt use chainsaws,C4,, lots of ammo ,agent orange or rome plow took care of all the vegitation.
from laos to nam,to cambodia,got shot at on every road they had over there :)

Happy Veterans day to you and thank you for your service. Carrying the 754G plus all the combat gear makes me laugh at all of the discussions on this site about an extra half pound. I know they are valid discussion points, but it sure puts things into perspective.

Semper fi,

Thanks for your service. I personally wish that the military had more free time, but I appreciate the hell out of our soldiers. Got two in the family, recon types.

My dad served in the 4th division as a combat engineer during Korea. He was stationed in Germany and was mostly cleaning up bomb rubble still left over from WWII. I have a bayonet he dug up that fits on my old Spanish Mauser. For all those that have or are serving, thank you. A lot!

sawbones: You got a weight on that thing.

Happy Veterans day to you and thank you for your service. Carrying the 754G plus all the combat gear makes me laugh at all of the discussions on this site about an extra half pound. I know they are valid discussion points, but it sure puts things into perspective.

Semper fi,

Ten or fifteen klicks thru the boonies with that pup would make you wish it was made of plastic instead of cast aluminum and tin.

My Dad was with B Battery (105's), 494th AFA, 12th Armored. He saw 150 days of combat in the ETO with one day of rest somewhere along the way. When they moved, he drove the HQ halftrack, which means his was the first one to move out, and to this day he says he has no idea why he was never hit on the move. I suspect it was due to good shooting prior to moving out, but what do I know.

He's still paying the price for it, but turns 89 next Friday and is doing ok for that age. A lot of his buddies paid a much heavier price, so we'll take it.

Many thanks to him and all you vets on AS! You guys are the best there are.

Latest posts

Back