Concern with cherry tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan Lavista

Reaction score
Hi, my cherry has in 2 of the branches a lot of rotten wood. What should i do?
Do i need to cut them? Treat them?

Please advise
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
thanks for quick response!
Yes, the tree is a Japanese flowering cherry, there are 2 branches with some rotten pieces.
In the first picture, where you see [A] is the branch and the place within the branch that is more rotten/damaged. also has some damaged
These are big branches, i was thinking to also to do a lot of trimming in the tree , not just the damaged branches, is this recommended? is this the best time of year? (i live in seattle, so is almost winter but is not that cold).
thanks in advance for all the help.
Juan

Attachments

• Cherry.jpg
    Cherry.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 16
  • cherry_A.jpg
    cherry_A.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Cherry_B.jpg
    Cherry_B.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 14
I live in Vancouver, just north of you. Very familiar with these trees. We prune them all year. I would say, anytime is OK to prune except during the early spring when the blossoms are out and the leaves are just emerging.

I wouldn't remove those rotten branches completely, it will leave too large a scar at the trunk. These trees are usually grafted, with the crown branches grafted on a hardier (but less attractive root stock). It appears that the graft is just below the lowest branch.

The wood on these things is pretty strong, so it doesn't take much live wood around the circumference of the branch to hold it up.

It's tough to tell you exactly how to prune only being able to see from a single perspective, but from what I see here are some suggestions.
On Branch A: Any secondary branch that is low and could be hit by a truck on the road (eg garbage truck) should be removed, same with small branches that could hit someone walking along the sidewalk. In the second pic, it is the larger branch at the top of the pic. The rest of the branch can be thinned.

On Branch B: There is a branch junction just left of the box. On the closer branch at that junction (goes up and over your car and can see the end) I would shorten this to an appropriate lateral.

On the second branch at the first junction, it goes out and then splits again. I would leave the branches that go up, and remove those that drop down.

In case you don't know proper pruning, if you are removing or shortening a branch, you need to cut it back to a lateral branch that is at least 1/3 the diameter of the branch being cut.

Thank you very much for all this great info. I will follow your guidelines!
Thanks and happy thanksgiving
Juan

I have an almond tree (same family and very similar care) which required very similar care after having being neglected while the house I now live in was left empty.

You must completely remove that branch, or the fungine infections which killed it will end up killing the whole tree. This must be done during the Winter, while the tree is dormant, or the tree will ooze resin and sap which may cause even more health problems.
Do not cut the branch flush to the trunk but leave about one inch. This wound must be sealed immediately after the cut. Personally I favor a homemade mixture (in weight): 50% vinil-based glue, 48% water and 2% copper based fungicide. Stir well, then generously apply to the cut. During Fall you will remove it to check how the cut is healing. If need be you can reapply the mixture and leave it for another year.

I have an almond tree (same family and very similar care) which required very similar care after having being neglected while the house I now live in was left empty.

You must completely remove that branch, or the fungine infections which killed it will end up killing the whole tree. This must be done during the Winter, while the tree is dormant, or the tree will ooze resin and sap which may cause even more health problems.
Do not cut the branch flush to the trunk but leave about one inch. This wound must be sealed immediately after the cut. Personally I favor a homemade mixture (in weight): 50% vinil-based glue, 48% water and 2% copper based fungicide. Stir well, then generously apply to the cut. During Fall you will remove it to check how the cut is healing. If need be you can reapply the mixture and leave it for another year.

I totally disagree with every recommendation you have made here.

Latest posts

Back