Considering a Paulowina

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thinking of getting one as a specimen shade tree.

Anyone have any experience with these in SE Wisconsin?

Do they have the potential to become as invasive as Buckthorn around here?

Will the suckers bust through asphalt like Cottonwoods do?

Any other reason I shouldn't plant it?

Thanks.

Originally posted by wysiwyg

Anyone have any experience with these in SE Wisconsin?
Any other reason I shouldn't plant it?
Paulownia do well in BC; used as specimens at the Bloedel Reserve, coolest garden in the world imo. Re WI, try contacting the state DFR or your county ag ext.

Guy, I'm embarrassed, as, though the Bloedel Reserve are in my neck of the woods, I have never visited.

While paulownia do well in our cool, moist climate, I'm thinking it would be too cold for them to thrive in SE Wisc. They do best in more temperate climates than ours....in subtropical areas, they can grow up to 25 feet in their first year... and typically grow faster after coppicing (cut at stump height-1 3 feet or so, I reckon.)

Originally posted by rbtree
though the Bloedel Reserve are in my neck of the woods, I have never visited.
Boy you really owe it to yourself to get down there early and often, if you have a drop of chlorophyll in your blood and a desire to see trees perform.
and typically grow faster after coppicing (cut at stump height-1 3 feet or so, I reckon.)

Right about coppicing, except best cut to the ground imo--better attachments.
Also, it's fine to post ?????????'s online but you've got to connect with local authorities too; put your tax dollars to work.

One of my customers(much to my chagrin) planted some around her garden 3 years ago. They have winter-killed down to crown every year so far. BUT every year they do get a little taller than the year before, which means there is just more deadwood to remove-starting to get real close to firewood size :D .
I've always considered them an invasive species(they are not native!!) and believe they have been listed as such but would have to search for documentation.

Originally posted by DadF

I've always considered them an invasive species(they are not native!!) and believe they have been listed as such but would have to search for documentation.
I'm sure they are on one list or another, but to me "non-native" does not mean "bad" But if they winterkill in IN they are not good for shade trees in WI are they!?!

Back