cork screw willows....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
any one know the record for size on these tree's. i cut one down today that was 19ft 6in in circumfrence at chest height. it forked out at about 6-7 feet. i had to treat it like trees. i left the big wood at 12ft(that was the agreed upon height. ) i went up the tree at 8:30 and my feet didn't hit the ground till 3:45 and this thing had to go through a house. the back yard it was in was 20 x 25. i managed to stuff the tree in 4 yards. it was only about 55- 60 feet tall, but the wood was huge. i'm sorry i didn't have a camera in my truck.

You might be able to find something here, I'm not familiar with those trees.
http://www.championtrees.org/

I've never had to take a tree out through a house, not sure if I would want to. I think I'd try to crane it over the house first. Do you ever have people that want you to wipe your feet each time, or close the door behind you on each trip? I think I'd rather CARRY it over the roof than try to deal with a homeowner freaking out from the tree guys carrying brush and logs through the living room! :blob6:

I don't know the record on Corkscrew willows but that 's sure a big one. Remember guys ,Spike works in the big City.-It 's another world. I 've pruned trees IN a house before(they had an atrium). Also ground out several small stumps in a basement.(That was weird-grind 90seconds then go outside and breath for 2-3minutes while the air cleared!)

Salix matsudana "Tortuosa"

Big treee ......
One off the hardest trees..for me anyway ...to be able to prune well.
Not that thats a worry now .How much did that one cost spike?Must have taken up the whole yard!!
Salix matsudana ‘Tortuosa’ G. Koidz.
Salicaceae - Willow Family
Twisted-Twig Willow
Corkscrew Willow

Identification: This is a narrow, upright willow with a distinctive habit. The common willow leaf, long, lanceolate, marks the place on each branch where the branch changes direction, bending away from the leaf.

Habitat: This tree is native to north-east Asia. It can be found in wet areas.

Uses: All willows are a good source of Salicin, an analgesic compound that offers relief from a host of ailments. Willow bark was chewed to relieve insomnia, colds, fever, inflammation and pain. A bark tea which is diuretic comes out in the urine and is therefore good for pain in the urinary tract. A leaf tea has astringent and antiseptic properties and is good for cuts. A root infusion was used to treat venereal disease, bruises, throat constriction, internal bleeding, bloodshot eyes and head sores. Roots were also dried, crushed and used with water to remove dandruff. A chewed-root poultice was used over horses’ eyes when troubled. Young shoots and leaves were also eaten raw, and the inner bark was ground into a flour. While willow is often used for all manner of construction, the shape of this willow’s branches makes it somewhat unsuitable for back rests, cord and such.

using a crane on most through the houes jobs is not an option. with the narrow streets we would need permits to close the street. depending on the hieght of the house the class of crane needed would be huge. plus the added cost. they did the tree for 5500.00(a little cheap in my mind). plus i don't like the idea of working with a crane if the operator can't see me. on small jobs every thing could be wraped like a big burito in a painters tarp and carried through. but on bigger jobs it just gets carried through. there is just no easy way to do it. i once had a customer freak as the guys started carrying the brush through(i'm not sure what he expected) he locked us in his back yard. i told him "open the door or i call the police and charge you with kidnapping" so he opened the door and we walked. its just a fact of life if there is no other acsess. on estimates i tell the people how to prepare the walk through, put red paper on the floor and walls and moved the furniture so the drag through is as straight as possible. if they do it its up to them i will not unless they pay extra for me to do it. plus the doors must stay open at all times, so they loose their heat or ac. i once did tree's in a shopping mall. but it was all pole saw and pole clip work, no power saws.(now what did i do with that electric chain saw again). some times i would not take a job because of bad drag through, sub basements with 4ft ceiling height down a ladder then up a ladder. we have thrown every thing off a roof but its a little risky. if it was my business i would decline the job. if they leave the dog crap in the yard i make sure i step in it , then walk on their carpets.

When working on roof for any length of thime, I wear a light belt and anchor a slack rope on both sides of the house, then attach with a prussick.

It is needed on steep pitch (Hate that!) and when a lot of little deadwood, like honeylocust, is all over.

I almost went through a roof once, rotten roof board sank about 4 inches when I steped on it. Freaked me out.

Ken, are most of those buildings 3 storey townhouses?

Wow, that is big, Ken...

I never knew corkscrew willows got that big, but see there a 228 AFA points one in Wa. that is 12'10" circ at breast height.

The largest weeping willow in NY has 285 points, in Wa. 328. It has a 19'3" circ. Maybe yours could have been a champ if it had been able to grow to a full canopy.

WI has not updated it's champ list since 97.

The champ S. matsuda was maeasured 1/1/96 in Greenbay.

C=130
H=50
S=50

Total=192

For that mater the ***** willow is 38.5/26/24.25=70.56

most of the attached brown stones are 3 to 4 stories. i've gone through 2 roofs up to my knee once and up to my thigh once. both times i was tied in. the willow was behind a 2 story building. i did the job for a tree svc i only work for 1 day a week. when i got there there climber was telling me to just take my time. hmmm why is he telling me this? then i saw the tree. i wasn't even sure i could get it down in a day. a lead had ripped out a week before and fell across 3 yards. it took them half a day just to clean that up. i'm gald the lead was gone, it made my job a little easier. there climber is very good but he's 59 years old and not into climbing with a big saw and messing with big wood any more. since we left it at 12 feet it will probably sucker out again into a brooklyn palm tree. i have to get back over there and get a pic of that thing.

plus i forgot to say. the company just hired a new ground guy the day of the willow. supposedly he worked for a tree svc before. after carrying a couple loads of brush through the house he disappeared. i guess the big old willow scared him away.

Back