CSM limits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Hick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How short of a log can you slab up with a csm? I have a cherry stump thats free if I want it. It will only go about 4 feet long, and about 50" around. This tree had three mature trunks coming out of the stump. I think the slabs would be something special, but can you slab a log that short?

Sure - I do it all the time.

When logs are really short you really need some way of holding them so they don't move. This can be as simple as tek screwing a board to the bottom of the log and holding that in a vice, through to something like this . . . .

attachment.php

Which is a CSM in a frame and a set of grippers holding the log.

Martrix mills his by holding onto the logs with a thingo called superjaws.

Last edited:
I've milled shorts as short as 20 inches lng, about the same diameter. I just cradlethe log (saved from the OWB) in 2 -6 x 6's that are notched. Nail a 2 x 6 on the top, make your 1st cut, good to go!! I resaw antique mill flooring all the time also with the csm. 7 inches wide, 2 .5 inches thick. I haven't found a limit yet.

The smallest log I've sawn was 36" long by 10" diameter, cherry with no visible sapwood, the guy traded me a 4'x4' trailer full of firewood if I'd rip it in half for him.

If you go through with this, post some pics if possible, we love pics.

Sutre thing I did a cherry this last week close to the same size it just had a single fork and some great figured grain.Make sure to seal the ends very good or you will lose more of the wood.

As long as you can lock the log down some how then you can pretty much mill as short as you like. A fancy set of dogs like BobL's would be ideal, but you can nail some 4x2s crossway to the bottom ends of a short log to stabilise it, then attach them to a couple of lengthways 4x2s. Then the small log cant move and you can have at it normally.

Cheers

Ian

I use a slab under the short pieces I mill, like some burrells are only about 15" dia. . I just screw the piece to the slab and it holds pretty well.

Latest posts

Back