Cub Cadet/MTD Log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
27 ton 24" capacity.

I know they are cheap. How cheap? Will they get the job done? Whats the cheap breaking bits on them?

I ask this, because I've played my hand at the home built/scratch built/twice used once rebuilt splitter, and its not my bag. I could rebuild it for a mint, but I'd be polishing a turd.

I say the Cub Cadet, because unlike its Troy Built/Yard Machines counter parts, its got a bit more metal on it, Honda motor and a decent darn tounge jack. Not just a metal leg.

Shipping on a Northern Tool Splitter is $300 at least. Makes the price go way way over the budget.

Keep looking. Go to Tractor Supply and have a look at the Huskee.

You haven't said how much you want to spend.

I purchased a White Outdoor / MTD 27 ton splitter in Feb. 2007 from my local True Value Hardware. They told me they have sold a lot of these units and have had little or no problems. I have split about 20 face cord with it so far. Some of the logs I was splitting was 40" diameter and 16" long red oak that was full of knots . The splitter went through it without any problem. The verticle position prevented me from doing any lifting of those really heavy pieces of wood.

A year ago, I had rented a Speeco 32 Ton splitter and the only difference I could really see was the $400 price difference between the Speeco and the White Outdoor splitter.

My two cents.

Gary

The MTD stuff actually holds up pretty good. I've got the old basic MTD 20 ton and it's done everything I've asked it to. For a guy doing their own wood, this is all you need. I wouldn't recommend one for any kind of commercial operation although I do know of some that are being used that way.

There is one negative that we see on that cheaper Honda engine. (Gosh! Honda makes a mistake?) The recoil starter is a bit on the chincy side and we have seen some just fall apart. Starting the splitter in cold weather; pulling over the pump along with the engine is a bit different than on a 20" lawnmower. On the bright side, an aftermarket replacement starter is only $10 or $20 complete should you need one.

Look for internet sales that offer free shipping. Northern Tools hammers you for shipping. I purchased my commercial Iron and Oak 30 ton horizontal only for $2039 delivered. Very satisfied with it.

I think mtd, yardmachines, white outdors, troybuilt and possibly dr are all owned by the same co. Doesn't mean they are all equal. I have a white 32 ton and it is well used but still works fine.:chainsaw:

MTD manufactures the cub cadet, white, yard machines and troy-bilt. I had a 27 ton MTD/Cub Cadet for 5 or 6 years and split over 200 cords with it. Never had any mechanical issues, just got tired of the slow cycle time on this kind of homeowner type machine.

My mtd works ok after you get over the slow cycle time.
have gone through 4 bolts that hold the wedge to the ram.

I think about getting a bigger one but the cost $3000 plus locally for a good Timberwolf just doesn't make sense for the 100 cord or so I might run through the splitter

Latest posts

Back