DBH after 25 yrs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetnwild

Reaction score
Grown up area bordering a field; mix of maple/oak/ash. Would like to cut it back to what it looked like 25 years ago.

What would be a good DBH to use? Thanks.

You would need to calculate the diameter increase per year and then do a regression calculation. An increment borer will be needed. Do you need a consulting arborist? Let me know via email if you do.

Will keep that in mind.
Up to 25 yrs ago, the area was actively managed/cleaned up. Nothing since.
At 25 yrs, height limit seems to have been reached - so I asked about DBH.
Landscape is less than optimal - so less than optimal growth rates - which confuses the issue.
I was hoping it would be as easy as taking out all the saplings and poles up to say 10" DBH.

Before cutting anything open (or using a $150+ increment borer) and counting rings - I am still hoping for some information on DBH guesses. Thanks.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you want to do an understory cut, or shelterwood cut. But, to be precise about your harvesting you need more information than DBH. Many factors must be taken into account if you remove all the young trees in a mature stand, you may face regeneration problems even with the parent generation. You could end up with an even aged stand with low biodiversity, but I don't know anything I'm just a forester.

No desire for biodiversity on this parcel.
My rememberance of this parcel/field was a wide open vista as I drove down the country road.
When it went to the town under a conservation arrangement (25 yrs ago) - they did nothing with it except have someone pull the hay. There is now a 30' wide border of trees around it obscuring the view.

I want it back to what it was - but maybe I can't get there.

wetnwil said:
When it went to the town under a conservation arrangement (25 yrs ago) - they did nothing with it except have someone pull the hay. There is now a 30' wide border of trees around it obscuring the view.

Do you own all of the land where the trees are growing? It sounds like the conservation arrangement might still be in force. You could get yourself in a jackpot, not the good one, if you violate a conservation arrangement.

wetnwild said:
No desire for biodiversity on this parcel.
My rememberance of this parcel/field was a wide open vista as I drove down the country road. When it went to the town under a conservation arrangement (25 yrs ago) - they did nothing with it except have someone pull the hay. There is now a 30' wide border of trees around it obscuring the view.

are there any photographs of it??? since it sounds like you are want to return to the days of old, that would be the best method to recreate your memory...

Latest posts

Back