Deal or No deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently found a guy locally who is selling a used Stihl 028 wood boss power head. He believes that it runs, however he has never attempted to start it. The saw was given to him from his brother-in-law. The obvious things wrong with it are a missing sprocket cover, broken throttle handle, missing handle rubber grip, and no bar/chain. What is this saw worth? He is currently asking $25. for it. Should I bother with it or offer close to what he wants? Anyone have any pros or cons about the 028 wood boss? Any help/advice would be appreciated!
STIHL-KID

STIHL-KID said:
I recently found a guy locally who is selling a used Stihl 028 wood boss power head. He believes that it runs, however he has never attempted to start it. The saw was given to him from his brother-in-law. The obvious things wrong with it are a missing sprocket cover, broken throttle handle, missing handle rubber grip, and no bar/chain. What is this saw worth? He is currently asking $25. for it. Should I bother with it or offer close to what he wants? Anyone have any pros or cons about the 028 wood boss? Any help/advice would be appreciated!
STIHL-KID
If you want it, $25 isn't even worth talking about.

Hey Space - be nice to the new guy!!

Welcome....

$25.. yep - In the worst case you can part it out and make more. If you want a project.... It will cost a few $$ to get going but it as great old saw to work on.

Now if it has a toasted cylinder and piston... don't bother for an a easy project.. Pull the muffler and check it out.

When you say "broken throttle handle". if you mean the rear tank assembly, that a probem, and expensive..

Stihl 028 Wood Boss Pictures

This is the pictures that the guy send me. The recoil assembly is busted. Any ideas on how to get a new one. Nothing turns up on ebay so far. Check out the pics and let me know what you see.

Hmmm.. the real old one. Make sure the tank is isn't busted at the top left mount. It's worth $25 if it turns over...

You'll need an IPL..

The recoil - just fix it. Dead simple...

Thanks for the input

I basically wanted to get another project saw to restore and use for firewood cutting. Judging by the pictures, what would you consider this saw's condition to be in..........part it out or fix it up? Thanks

Really hard to say...I suspect you'll replace the fuel hose, impulse hose, maybe a mount or two, rebuild the carb, etc etc... If the cylinder is in good shape it will run. Maybe a crank seal, but they seem to hold together pretty well on the old 028's. If the spark is bad, you'll need a condensor, or (rarely)new points. You really need to pull the muffler and have a look.

If is running great, with some paint and decent bar/chain it's worth $150 to $200... So that's your guide for how much to spend on it.

Sounds good to me

Yeah, for the price I think I can't really lose money on it. If it's junk.......part it out. Turns over and needs a few minor things to run.......I'll fix it. My buddy just picked up a Stihl 048 AV for $25 bucks at the local swap meet. The 048 is the power head only. The saw was used for winching and had a winch attachment on it at one time. The saw turns over fine and runs. Sadly, the idiots who ran the winch on it grinded down the casing to make room for the winch. During the grinding process they ground right down into the oiling passage for the bar! At this point my buddy is having second thoughts of keeping it.

For $25, even if its dead, you can part it out and get that $25 back easily and then some. its an early 028, but that model is a reliable machine none the less.

Latest posts

Back