Determining Tree Hieght

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenmai

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to check the hieght of a tree. The method I used was to level a tripod, put a speed square on it then look up the 45 side of the square. I moved the tripod (and releveled) back and forth until the tip lined up with the top of the tree. I then looked down the 45 side of the square and marked the spot on the ground. I measured from the tree to the spot on the ground and came to 78'.
I checked this by holding a stick at arms length with my hand lined up with the base of the tree and the tip of the stick lined up with the top of the tree. I rotated the stick 90 degrees (horizontal) keeping my hand aligned with the base of the tree. Noted the spot that the tip of the stick lined up with and measured from that spot to the tree; 77'.
The tree is a Maple that split about 50' up during a storm this week. It's also leaning in the direction of my future garrage and is going to come down soon. I need to be sure about the height because the power lines are 95' away. Fortunately the direction of the lean is the right where I want it to land.
I've cut down a couple hundred trees but never had to be concerned about the height before (cleared land and worked for a tree service-they did the math). I'm comfortable felling the tree but want to check my math.

Thanks,
Ken

Sounds like you are on the right track. There was a thread here somewhere a couple months ago on determining tree height, perhaps you might find it using the search feature. Sounds like you got almost 20 feet margin for error, using the first method. Not familiar with how high Maples get there, usually not anywhere near 95' here. Cutting the trunk high will gain you 4'-5' extra margin.

Thanks for the confirmations. I knew that the height of the power lines gave me a larger buffer. In viewing Mike's picture I realized it was even greater than I thought. If you reverse the tree and the power line poles in the picture, but keep the slope, it more clearly depicts what I'm doing.
It also works out good to notch it a little high because of the terrain and lean of the tree (the tree is straight to roughly 3' and then starts to lean). A little extra trunk will make it easier to pull the stump out.

Thanks again,
Ken

Dropped, limbed, bucked and stacked (I love having a backhoe). I had almost 74' on the ground and just under 3' of stump. It always comes down to math. I greatly appreciate this forum and the advice offered.

Ken

Looks like you were dead on with your measurements, Ken. That's a valuable skill to have when dropping trees. :)

I'm glad to hear that all went well.
Did you get a little thrill when the tree started to fall?
I still get a charge out of it when there's an expensive garden or a house that will be a near miss for the tree I'm dropping, and I've done it thousands of times(dropped trees, not wrecked things ;) ).

The tree I dropped today had the power lines 95' away, if the tree stayed on target; 75' away closer to the house (1 year old), neighbors yard 20 feet away and my house 45 feet away. On top of that, I couldn't get the huge part that split, free before I cut it down.

I tied a rope to the split branch, which was another learning experience (it's amazing the things you can do with a sling shot), but even when I pulled it with the backhoe (tried from different spots), it wouldn't come free of a different tree it was laying on. I could have kept pulling with the backhoe but I was afraid the tree itself might snap (it was damaged by not very strong winds).

There was also a young, tall pine that was in the way of a few branches that might graze the pine on the way down and change the direction of the tree. I used an open notch, come along, and the backhoe as a brace/guide next to the tree incase it went towards the house.

I don't know if using the backhoe is a good practice or not. The only thing I could think of was the tree catching the loader and either tipping it over or breaking something. It's a Ford 555 and weighs over 14000 lbs. I put the pedestals down and used the backhoe itself as a brace against it tipping. I felt that would keep it from tipping and I would rather the backhoe break than the house.

Yea, I guess you could say I was a little thrilled.

Ken

I get excited...

Just like when I dropped that 60' magnolia right through the privacy fence gate with 12-15" to spare on both sides.....that stuff gets me pumped!

Back