Diesel Engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFD34

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My brother and I are sick of making our boss $$RICH$$$$ so, we are taking the plunge and going to start up are own company. We plan to start next spring but we need to buy our equipment first. We are looking at the Brush Bandit 1290H drum style chipper. Does anyone have one of these? Also, we can order it with a Cummings, Deere, Cat, or Perkins diesel engine anywhere between 85 and 150 horsepower. What are peoples suggestions for engines and horespower for this machine that has a 12 inch capacity? Thanks for any imput. DFD34

We just got 4 new BC1400 Vermeers. Nice machines. Have Cat Engines in them.
We also got a BC1800 with the Big JD motor. 1200 trouble free hours so far. All have winches.

My experience with the four cyl diesels I would favor the John Deere engine .they are used in everything from backhoes to generators and are regarded as nearly bulletproof.

I would go with cat all the way. My old neighbor used to have a chipper with one on it and it had thousands of hours on it. Everything else had been replaced around the cat but the motor was original. You talk to about any trucker and they will tell you cat is the way to go.

All small Cat's are now Perkins... still very good engines though. JD's are noticebly lacking in torque, not good on chippers.
Cat/Perkins 115hp is a very good unit, Known in the trade as a 'Perkepiller'.
As much power as you can afford is always my moto.
My personal favourite is the Cummins. Very torquey, lightweight and very good warranty. Seems to be the engine of choice at the moment.

Also, I am a dealer, so I am biased, but phone the folks at Dynamic and try a Conehead out on demo. I have bandits, and the conehead kicks their butt.

DFD34, Congratulations on the decision to make yourselves poor rather than make the boss rich. :p There is a lot of good equipment available -good luck in your endeavor.

DFD34 said:
My brother and I are sick of making our boss $$RICH$$$$ so, we are taking the plunge and going to start up are own company. DFD34

Be in for a big shock your boss probably isn't as rich as you think !!!..best of luck starting your own company up ,but beleive me it's 24/7 deal,ask any company owner .When my crew are relaxing i'm working !!!!!

Back to your post, cummins diesels rules !!!!

DanManofStihl said:
I would go with cat all the way. My old neighbor used to have a chipper with one on it and it had thousands of hours on it. Everything else had been replaced around the cat but the motor was original. You talk to about any trucker and they will tell you cat is the way to go.
I knew a guy once that had something different. So, he should go with something different cause this guy had one and knew another guy who sold his Cat because he hated it. Uh huh.

A little ironic this post..I delivered firewood today to a friend of mine recently back from the B.C.He spent 23 years out there working heavy equipment and eventually owning his own excavation and trucking business.Today he is spreading "municipal bio solids" on farmers fields.His tractor is a 200 hp J.D.8100.While discussing the merits of JD technology he was telling me about his trucking experience and that cats,cummins,mack, were all good motors but cat parts would break the bank so he was cummins all the way.He hates detroits but says their new versions are okay because they are now 4 stroke as opposed to 2(thats why log skidders sound like they are gonna blow up)For what its worth.jeff

I like Cummins. Parts are fairly cheap compared to other diesels and are readily available.

As far as your boss making the big bucks......
Being your own boss is great, but you will be working a lot more. I usually work about 80 hours a week as the owner of my own company, when you consider paperwork, doing bids and production work. Would I have it any other way? NO. After 20 years of being my own boss, I could not work for someone else. Another thing you might consider, the hardest part of being a success is getting customers. You may be the best climber and pruner around, but with no customers you won't have a business. Be prepared for at least a year of expenses exceeding income....better yet, be prepared for 2 years.

Back