DIY disasters.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outofmytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=118813

I am getting more and more calls to chip brush. You know the sort of job where the HO and his brother-in-law (there is always a BiL) have pruned their trees just like "pros" and piled the waste ready to go. I swear these people just can't add up and I know for certain they don't have a clue about tree pruning.

So what is it like where you work? Is this common or is Australia "blessed" with an excess of DIY cowboys?

great video, Yeah that happens here too. Usually people "save money" by cutting brush themselves then have us chip the total disaster messy piles. Which takes longer and costs more than the whole job would have. I hate chipping disaster piles. One guy would makes piles with his tractor then pack em' down with logs. That was a joy to pull apart...... Mike

Last edited:
I picked up a client last month, they said I had worked for their daughter. Of course the mane does not ring a bell, rural town, several years ago....Oh...Yeah...he had dropped one of the trees on the house and they needed new gutters, shingles, sheathing, some new siding....

I picked up a client last month, they said I had worked for their daughter. Of course the mane does not ring a bell, rural town, several years ago....Oh...Yeah...he had dropped one of the trees on the house and they needed new gutters, shingles, sheathing, some new siding....

You know, I dont think theres a treeman alive that doesnt take pleasure in the DIY guys screwing stuff up John. I dont want to see anyone get hurt...just break alot of :censored:.

Last summer a guy took out the primaries. I saw the stump. it wasnt pretty. I'll bet he paid in one way or another.

Last edited:
I like the call that goes....I have some cuttings that need grinded you do that? well sir I can come take a look

How much sumthin like that cost? seems like nobody wants to be bothered!
cant say over the phone sir, would have to see the (sarcasticalliy) cuttins!

you get there & the cuttins are 15-20ft tall spruce trees with the occasional small maple droped in them, only 7-8 trees that look like they were suppose to be win rowed along side a ROW for the utility & mulched to ankle depth.

I laugh & hit him with a bill that leaves his shwank swinging southbound for awhile! stuff like that I dont even wanna do unless it pays more than its worth.

LXT...........

When I turned up to quote the job in the video I walked around the tree shaking my head. The HO said "whats wrong?" and I replied "where would you like me to start!". I gave him the "Thou shalt not mutilate thine trees" lecture and to his credit he took it well. Then his mate walks around the front and is introduced and as I am shaking his soft, office worker hand I asked him if he was responsible for this mess?! I suspect he was worried he wouldnt get his hand back.:chainsaw: After I gave them both a serve I honestly thought I wouldnt get the job but I guess they rang around and realised that the clean up price was fair even without the extras.

At the end of the day I got a text from the client thanking me and they added their email address so I can send them an early warning message for the follow up work next year. Who knows, maybe this will work out for the best after all.

Two of the biggest piles were right next to his electric meter. Besides work is work. Although it really sucked. Looks like so snow today for people in DC then moving up my way. Going out in 20 min to do some pruning. I hate snow..... Mike

Latest posts

Back