Does anybody use a Camelbak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use a Camelbak?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BWinters

Reaction score
I am considering an effort to bring this product to the tree care industry. It seems like it would be beneficial to someone working outside and on the move all day. Please let me know your thoughts - would you use one or not? Is it a stupid idea? I would very much appreciate the feedback - to help me decide whether to do it or drop it.

For those who are not familiar, Camelbak is a water bladder inside a small insulated backpack that holds upwards of 70 oz. of water. It allows the wearer to carry water with them all day without being in the way and it leaves the hands free to work. It was invented for bicycling, but has since been picked up by a lot of different users, from firemen at the World Trade Center, to Special Ops guys in Afghanistan.

Thanks!

It is on my Christmas list. If you want to bring it to the industry, why not start by sending one to me?
Greg

Carrying around 70 oz. of water seems uneccessary for tree work unless the system comes with a bag for the other side. The camelback may have a 70 oz. bladder but I'm pretty sure I don't.:D

the thing i don't like about the camel back is the cleaning. i've used one for mt biking but not for tree work. for tree work i have a bunch of nalgene water bottles. i can just put them in the dish washer. i fill them half way with water and freeze them over night. in the morning i just top them off with water. i use a biner to clip it to the back of my saddle. if i don't want it on my saddle i could just sling it to the tree in a place i will be back to. you could use a little bleach to clean the bladders in camel backs but i get lazy and don't want any funk building up in the bladder or tube.

It's been tried and It seems like it didn't sell well cause I don't see the ads too much anymore.
I use one for trailriding but already have a bunch of gear on so it's no big deal , cimbing around in a tree with one getting hung up on branches would be a pain.

The reason I bought mine is because I saw a guy working from a bucket with one on his back. However after paying $70 or so for the one I bought... I would much rather use it for other things, plus it is a PITA to clean and does get in the way.

Why are all of you who live in cool places packing these things?? NY, VA, CT? For hot coco?

100 F is normal in the summer here and no I would not use one. Trees here can be mean. They will stick you, sting you, or bite you. I don't think it would last and I think it would make me sweat a hole through my back.

My 2 cents

I am just speaking for me here, but when it gets hot up my way... it also gets really humid. I had been out to Colorado a couple years ago (near Aspen) to see cousins. I was helping them with something outside and they said we all had to stop working because it was 110 out there. I couldn't feel it at all, because I am used to the humidity being the killer.

Yeah you got that dry heat :p
It's gets miserable here with the humidity in the summer.

Back