Dogwood Pruning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slang

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have 4 established Dogwoods in different areas of my yard, these trees are between 40 and 50 years old each. To my knowledge, they have never been pruned and they need some attention. They have some old dead branches that need to be taken off, and of course some small sucker limbs that are growing out of the trunks down low, and in the way of mowing around them. One of the 4 of them is diseased, and the bark on this particular one is flaking off in sheets, and the actual inner wood is exposed and has a very "dry" and dead look to it, even though it is still barely alive. I know that this one is on its last leg, and has to be cut down. My question is this, I live in N.C. and these trees have already bloomed of course, and now we are heading into the middle of Summer. Would it be best for me to wait until the sap drops in Jan. or Feb. when it's cold to prune these trees, and give them a little fertilizer, because of the possibility of bugs getting into the pruned limbs? Or does it make any difference about pruning Dogwoods? I have heard it both ways, please tell me what you think. I want to save these remaining 3 beautiful old trees, I know the 4th one will have to go.

Thanks for any advice

Go ahead & prune them, have you considered installing mulch beds?
Yes, I have mulch in mind. And it is on the menu this weekend. Actually, this property belonged to my family, and I recently bought it from them. Now I am trying to get my trees, lawn, and shrubs, back into good shape again. So, you think that it's not too late in the Summer to prune these dogwoods? As, long as I mulch, and give them just a little 12-4-10 or something like that? What do you suggest as far as fertilizer?

Thanks in advance.

Prune now any. that ice we had set them back. pine straw as mulch will work.
Ok, I'll prune away. I had not thought about those ice storms that we had. These trees, were a little sparse on the blooms this spring. What mix of fertilizer do I need for them? 16-4-10 or 12-4-10 or 10-10-10 I don't want to burn 'em.

I have 4 established Dogwoods in different areas of my yard, these trees are between 40 and 50 years old each. To my knowledge, they have never been pruned and they need some attention. They have some old dead branches that need to be taken off, and of course some small sucker limbs that are growing out of the trunks down low, and in the way of mowing around them. One of the 4 of them is diseased, and the bark on this particular one is flaking off in sheets, and the actual inner wood is exposed and has a very "dry" and dead look to it, even though it is still barely alive. I know that this one is on its last leg, and has to be cut down. My question is this, I live in N.C. and these trees have already bloomed of course, and now we are heading into the middle of Summer. Would it be best for me to wait until the sap drops in Jan. or Feb. when it's cold to prune these trees, and give them a little fertilizer, because of the possibility of bugs getting into the pruned limbs? Or does it make any difference about pruning Dogwoods? I have heard it both ways, please tell me what you think. I want to save these remaining 3 beautiful old trees, I know the 4th one will have to go.

Thanks for any advice

I would love to see pics of a 50 year old dogwood tree. Around here they get a disease and die by 20-25 years old. Must grow better in the southern climate?

All of mine that I planted a few years ago got pruned with the mower or died from too wet soil. :( I've got some new ones to put in the ground. I think I'll like them better than the crab apples if I can get them going without killing them.

I would love to see pics of a 50 year old dogwood tree. Around here they get a disease and die by 20-25 years old. Must grow better in the southern climate?

We were very, very, very lucky pilgrims. My dear old Mother bought this house back in 1965 after our Dad passed away. The house itself was built in 1942, and the oldest of the 4 of these trees was already there when we moved in. It was a young tree then, and I climbed it many times when I was a kid, (it was my best friend). There are 3 of them that were dug up in the wild from the woods, and transplanted to the property line beside the highway in 1966 - 1967 or so. A "Dogwood Blight" (anthracnose, I believe it's called) came through the Southeastern U.S. back in the late 1970's - '80's and took out a BIG population of these beautiful older trees, down here in the South. One of those at the road got the disease, and is still barely living, although, as much as I hate to kill it, I have to take it down.

They have been neglected for years, and years, and I just hope that I can save them, they are with no doubt, by far my favorite native species of trees. Other than the giant Oaks, and Pecans.

All of mine that I planted a few years ago got pruned with the mower or died from too wet soil. :( I've got some new ones to put in the ground. I think I'll like them better than the crab apples if I can get them going without killing them.

I can tell you from experience, that they do not like lawn mowers, or weed eaters. I learned that, the hard way. What happens is, when you bump them, or hit them with something, and injure the bark, it takes a long time for it to heal itself. That wound is raw for the rest of the year, and allows an easy entry for freakin' bugs, and disease. So, that is why I was saying to the other gentleman from this area, that I was definitely going to mulch around them to keep the weeds, and other crap away from the trunks. The info that I have heard, is to leave about 4 - 6 inches in diameter of space between the trunk and the mulch itself at the base of the tree. I was told, for some reason, this is what they like.

You can't go too terribly wrong with any of those ferts if applying @ a max of 20lbs/1000sqft. It is best first to get a soil sample done, find out if your Dogwoods need a PH adjustment & see what the nutrient levels are.

You can't go too terribly wrong with any of those ferts if applying @ a max of 20lbs/1000sqft. It is best first to get a soil sample done, find out if your Dogwoods need a PH adjustment & see what the nutrient levels are.

Thank you Raintree for your expertise, and I truly do mean that with respect. As I said earlier, I recently purchased the property from my family, and a soil sample is MOST definitely going to be done. I guess I might be hookin' the cart in front of the mule, so to speak. I know that you are right about the PH level in the yard needing to be analyzed. I don't ever remember a soil sample being done on this lawn since '65 so, a soil sample has to be taken, for me to ever get the grass, trees, shrubs, flowers etc. etc. to do what they need to do, and be at their best. I guess my safest bet, is to (#1 take off the dead limbs, and prune the suckers.) Then, (#2 take a soil sample over to the local Ag. Extension Agency to see what this lawn really needs, before I just start slinging fertilizer around randomly.) Don't you think that this would be the best way to start with the process?

Thanks kindly. p/s "penguins are tasty" LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Back