Dolmar 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I thought I had it all figured out on what chainsaw to buy and then I start reading here about a Dolmar 5100S.
I had all intentions of buying either a Stihl MS2700 or a Husqvarna 353. The problem is there is only one Dolmar dealer in Connecticut that is close to me (8 miles) away. The next closest is about 30 miles away.
It seems like the Stihl dealers are all over and next most popular is the Husqvarna dealers. Locally the MS270 is $379, the Husky 353 is $399, and the Dolmar 5100S is $409. I can huy the Husky 353 on line for $350 with two extra chains, no tax or shipping. This seems like the best deal but I keep thinking about the Dolmar because of all th HP it has.
I am basically just using the saw to cut approx. 3 cords of firewood a year for my own use.
I'm looking for you opinion on what saw to buy. Is there any place on line that sells Dolmar at a discounted price?

Thanks for your help.

Demo'd a Dolmar 5100 s the other day and the only way to describe it is it is just flat out fun to cut with.The saw screams!!

To me the choice is a no-brainer,5100 all the way.

I'll be getting mine after the holidays.

If the 5100s is like the 7900, then the world has changed and only those that have run one of those two saws knows it.

I have no need for another saw that size, and may get one myself just to see for myself.

8 miles isn't bad at all. I've got a Husky dealer that needs help 2 miles from me, a bad Stihl dealer that has everything 4 miles away, a good Stihl dealer that has everything 12 miles away, and the closest Dolmar dealer is 40 miles away. I'd still buy one.

Mark

I have had chainsaws since I was a teen.

never really required a dealer just up the road. I can always order parts online. and my warranty is basically shot the minute I modded my 6400 muffler anyhow..
parts are only a phonecall or email away anyhow.
I do not use my saws to earn a living so if it is broken. I just grab another one up and wait for parts.

I think someone called me the official Dolmar saw whore on AS...

I love my 5100. The power it has over the 353 is unreal. To get a comparable power saw, you would need to look at a 361 stihl, or 357xp/359 husky.

If you are only cutting three cord a year, this saw will be 10x more of a saw that you expect. I have had mine almost a year and have a ton of time on it. I am not a pro, or a faller, but my saws get used a lot. This past year I have cut approx 50 cord. Some was with family (for uncle, and grandpa) quite a bit for myself, and a lot for resale. What I am getting at, is that I have quite a bit of run time on it. No problems, other than needing to adjust the carb after breakin, which a close dealer is needed in most cases.

The saw performs great in hardwoods with an 18" or 16" bar, but many members here have run a 20" bar. My dealer ran a 24" on his demo saw just for giggles. He cut some red oak with it and we were both amazed that this little screamer had the power to pull the bar in good sized wood. Not something I would do very often but shows it could be used if alsolutely needed. It is just a great all around saw for the price, weight and lots of power for the size.

I would get the 5100 at your local dealer, after running mine. I would even pay full retail for this saw. But, have a heart to heart with your local dealer and tell him you are thinking about the 353. See if he can get you a little better deal. He might not drop a lot in price, but he may be able to throw in an extra chain, bar oil, 2 stroke oil, chaps, etc.

I do not have experience with other saws of the same size but I like my 5100 a lot. Have had it a few months and use it two to three days a week average in smaller softwood timber. I run an 18" bar and it can hardly be stopped when it is buried.
It has an oiler like a larger saw. In fact it is the only saw that I ever have turned the oiler down on. With it turned all the way up it looks like a garden hose coming off the end of the bar. But it was still tank for tank with the gas.

Freak

Freakinstang...

I think that name they gave you is great! I have a 7900 Woods Port on the way from Dave, and can't wait to get those first 15 tanks of gas through it (He says that's what it needs to really wake up). I really enjoy reading your posts.

Back