• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Dolmar PS-420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great starting and running PS-420 for sale.
This is a nimble little saw with surprising punch.
It has internal clutch, rim sprocket, nice spring AV mounts, and an easy-starting spring-loaded pull start feature that really makes starting it easy.
I have seen these advertised before as good starter saws for small people or women because they are light and easy to start.

I am selling this saw because, frankly, I got worn out fixing it up. It now has so many new parts I'd imagine it is good to go for a long time.

$325 + shipping
$275 + shipping
$250 + shipping

Summary:

New Zama Carb
New Coil (Not Chinese)
New Fuel Lines
Vacuum and Pressure Tested for Seals
Gutted OEM Muffler

Story:

I have enjoyed this little 42 cc Dolmar for about 6 years. I gutted the cat from the muffler and converted it to 3/8 rim sprocket. I run 3/8 low pro chain on it with a 14" bar with great performance.

The saw began to run funny at higher RPM and to shut off at certain RPM so I set it aside for more than 6 months. The coil turned out to be problematic. Now it is fixed but I have other saws I prefer such as the 48 cc Shindaiwa in my profile photo up and to the left. I also gave it to a buddy who could not figure it out but I eventually prevailed!

Threads of the troubleshooting chasing myself in circles before putting on that new coil. I replaced the original Walbro with a brand new Zama, which Dolmar/Makita used on several saws.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/dolmar-ps-420-help-saw-idles-but-wont-rev.370431/
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/dolmar-ps-420-issues.369459/
I purchases a new Zama carburetor which seemed to help some, but didn't fix the issue. I replaced the coil with a used coil from an online retailer and it continued to do the same thing. I put a new ProLine coil on it yesterday and now it runs as it used to and as it should. The used coil was apparently faulty also.

In an effort to fix the thing, I tore it down and also vacuum and pressure tested it after going back together. I took the cylinder off at one point. It had me baffled. Compression is good and the piston and cylinder are in good shape. I don't have a guage but it has as much compression for it's size as any of my other saws.

The forward top cover has small holes drilled in it so I could fiddle with the coil without removing the cover. Sorry about that. It doesn't affect the function.

Dogs (7).JPG

Primer bulb replaced 2 years ago.

P8176164.JPG

Sadly, the original starter handle shown in the above picture broke.
It now has a different starter handle, a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower starter handle, which works just fine and is smaller and compact.
There is also a new pull starter rope as of a few days ago.
Gas cap is new (my friend lost mine when he looked at the saw to try to fix it).

P8176137.JPGP8176151.JPGP8176163.JPGP8176134.JPG

I had the saw apart to try to find problems, so here are photos of some of the more inner workings.

Saw is a little dirty.

P8176138.JPGP8176139.JPGP8176150.JPG

This photo shows the older fuel lines. Fuel lines are all now replaced.

P8176152.JPG

Seals are good.
Saw holds vacuum and pressure.

P8176141.JPG

Coil is not the one in the photo, it has been replaced by a new one.
ProLine from SawZilla

sawzillaparts.com

Proline® Red Ignition Coil For Makita Dolmar PS350 PS351 PS420C PS421 DCS3500 DCS3501 DCS4300 DCS4301

Shop now for direct OEM replacement aftermarket chainsaw and small engine parts. All major brands including Stihl, Husqvarna, Poulan, Honda, Echo, Homelite, Briggs & Stratton
sawzillaparts.com
sawzillaparts.com

Dogs (3).JPGDogs (5).JPG

Shown in this photo is the older Walbro.

New (not used) Zama is on the saw.

Fuel lines shown have been replaced.

Latest posts

Back