Dunstan Chestnut trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsantoro

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I live upstate ny , cold long harsh winters , and I’m in a very windy area at 1500 ft elevation.

I purchased 6 dunstan chestnut trees from Walmart. They are 2 years old and about 5 ft tall. Each are in a pot with a bamboo support stake that goes to the top of the tree. It is taped in multiple spots to the tree.
I planted them today hoping they make it through winter which starts in a few months.
My question is , do I leave those supports attached to the tree and if so for how long. Should I remove them now? I want sure if they could stand in their own. Thanks for any help.
Victor

I'd leave them. If you haven't fenced them the deer will destroy them. My buddy planted some and even with fence the deer ate every shoot off that grew through the fence. The bucks will rub them with their antlers and kill them. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. So leave them tied up for how long ? Obviously it can’t be forever will it hurt to leave them in until spring time then take off ? I don’t want it to restrict growth.

I have to say though, if yours are 5’ tall , you’re off to a very good start. I had no luck at all with my Dunstuns. I have two that I grew from seed. They’re a year apart and one is about 20’ tall the other almost 15’. They’re protected by a 4’ steel wire fence and the deer eat everything that hangs over it. If it weren’t dark out now, I’d get you a pic. I’ll get one this evening and post it.IMG_5062.jpeg
Here’s the pic I promised. Sun almost went down on me. They only get about 2-3 hours of direct sun so they’re not nearly as full as I’d like, but they’re growing. The one on the right was planted May 2018, the left one a year later. They are from different stock.

We planted 6 Dunstin chestnut trees about 5 yrs. ago in Freedom Indiana and all are doing great. We did wrap fence with stakes around all 6 trees. The deer have left them alone for now anyway. Best of luck with your trees.

Latest posts

Back