Dying trees - need help with ID of fungus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Stew

Reaction score
Hey experts-

I just bought a new house and it's filled with half dead trees. The trees are covered in this fungus, which I'm assuming has something to do with them dying...? Any help/advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!IMAG0799.jpg IMAG0798.jpg IMAG0800.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0801.jpg
    IMAG0801.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
More details:

Lichens often grow larger on dead/dying trees because there is more sunlight on the bark, which fuels the growth of the algae, which in turn fuels the growth of the fungus (lichens are a symbiotic relationship between fungus and algae - or sometimes cyanobacteria instead of algae). Point being: it is common to see more of this on a dead tree, which generates a lot of questions because it does look like that is associated with the death...it is complete innocent - just wrong place wrong time (or is it the right place/time?).

By "improperly planted", that is planted too deep. A chronic problem these days, unfortunately.

thanks for the clarification! Guess I'll get a lot of use out of my new chainsaw...

Back