E-Bay problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many home owners purchase saws with no idea of what to do? Just fire it up and wind out all the way with out letting off like it is an electric weed eater.
I would feel bad if it happened to me, I am too honest to be a business man - always worried of shorting someone.

But it sounds like this guy really never had an idea - I imagine it would not be hard to fry a saw if you never knew what you were doing.

Good luck.

I am like you, i have a conscious. I would not like to give someone a bad deal also which is why i tried to think of everything possible about the saw prior to shipping and i cannot come up with anything. The saw was excellent running prior to shipping.

Doc

Tree Sling'r said:
I wonder how many home owners purchase saws with no idea of what to do? Just fire it up and wind out all the way with out letting off like it is an electric weed eater.
I would feel bad if it happened to me, I am too honest to be a business man - always worried of shorting someone.

But it sounds like this guy really never had an idea - I imagine it would not be hard to fry a saw if you never knew what you were doing.

Good luck.

Lots, I'd suspect. I had some idiot buy my Homelite SuperEZ Auto earlier this fall. When he first inquired about the saw, I indicated that it needed to be tuned, since I never quite got it to run the way I'd have liked. I sold it to him (at a loss) and shipped it to him, along with a note the reiterated the fact that the saw would need to be adjusted for HIS location initially and throughout the life of the saw. I also mentioned that this was a natural reality of saw use and ownership.

Well, he either didn't adjust it or mis-adjusted it, so it ran like crap when it ran at all. He perpetually emailed me about it for the first couple weeks that he had it. I repeatedly reiterated the need to have the saw properly tuned and that this might require professional assistance. I was told that he felt this wasn't fair, since he bought a used saw to save money and not to have to sink extra cash into it at the saw shop, blah blah blah.

I don't know if he ever solved the problem, since Outlook now knows that incoming emails from him are to be immediately and permanently deleted. Oh well.

Bad Rap

I have had simular experiences,and as a precaution have used a electric engraver to mark all the major parts before selling in an area not seen without tear down.Have caught a few with this method

I also mark and photograph everything i sell and take in for repair, even my Ford truck gets marks in the parts before they are supposed to be replaced. I found the old grill out of my truck at a swap meet just a week after it was removed for warranty work, that 1/4" hole in the plastic didn't come from the factory...Bob

The only thing I guarantee when selling a used saw is that it will not be Dead on Arrival. So the saw started and cut wood as expected on the first tank full. After that I believe you are off the hook. Unfortunately you can't control the fuel they put in the saws.
I had a couple uncomfortable situations myself on ebay. I had sold some new in the box trimmers although I am not a dealer. Two of them back to back the customers complained that they would not run. The first guy took the unit to a local small engine dealer and had the carb cleaned/rebuild. He sent me the over priced bill and I paid it but wasn't happy. Since the trimmer was new it was under Warranty but he did not have a local Husky dealer and had the work done before calling me. The second called first and said he did not have a local Husky dealer. He said he was comfortable removing the carb and sending it to me. So I rebuild/cleaned the carb and sent it back. When he got the carb back I talked him through tuning it on the phone, All in all he was happy and learned something too.

e-bay problem

Hey gang just an update to my story. The guy closed the dispute today after i told him the discussion was over and i would only refund monies if saw returned as shipped ( working ). I figure if he truly felt it was my fault or if indeed the saw was as he described ( which is highly unlikely!! ) than it would have been worth escalating, at least thats what i'd do. Thanks for all the comments.

Doc

Great outcome! and a great example of standing on your firm ground... Way to many guys will take any advantage they can.. let HD and Lowes have those!

Latest posts

Back