Echo cs-330t or Stihl ms192t (MAC 10 Repair)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporty87

Reaction score
Looking for saw for basic home use not too much heavy work, it will be used maybe 4 times a year. which would you advise? Don't want to spend too much. I have an old mac 10 that I love but it's 25 years old and needs some work but still runs and has met my needs very well.Can you get parts for a 25 year old mac 10?
Thanks,Richie

Welcome to Arboristsite!

To answer your question in a word: neither. Top handle saws are generally viewed as poor choices for anything except off-the-ground work; I am presuming that the bulk of your cutting will occur with your feet planted firmly on the ground. The issue of the proper market for top handle saws was recently debated in depth here: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32647

A small saw with a conventional handle will likely be a better all-around saw choice. Echo CS-346, Stihl MS170/MS180, Dolmar PS401 spring to mind as excellent choices in durable small saws.

If you are still hell-bent on purchasing a top handle saw, you will likely be content with either, with the edge possibly going to the Echo for rugged durability (they may not be the fastest saw on the block, but you can't kill Echo saws) and the edge on light weight to the Stihl.

And yes, you can probalby get parts for your saw. Folks on this board seem able to find parts for darned-near anything, so ask around.

Last edited:
computeruser said:
Welcome to Arboristsite!

To answer your question in a word: neither. Top handle saws are generally viewed as poor choices for anything except off-the-ground work; I am presuming that the bulk of your cutting will occur with your feet planted firmly on the ground. The issue of the proper market for top handle saws was recently debated in depth here: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32647

A small saw with a conventional handle will likely be a better all-around saw choice. Echo CS-346, Stihl MS170/MS180, Dolmar PS401 spring to mind as excellent choices in durable small saws.

If you are still hell-bent on purchasing a top handle saw, you will likely be content with either, with the edge possibly going to the Echo for rugged durability (they may not be the fastest saw on the block, but you can't kill Echo saws) and the edge on light weight to the Stihl.

And yes, you can probalby get parts for your saw. Folks on this board seem able to find parts for darned-near anything, so ask around.

This is true.....some people consider top handle saws dangerous for normal ground use due to less leverage. I would consider other options....Ms180 for stihl...or a 340,345 or a 350 for husky.

Latest posts

Back