Echo CS-490 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy90

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a homeowner that uses my Echo CS-490 a few times per year for property maintenance. It has the 18” factory bar and chain. I am looking for a chain that will make it cut a little better. I also like the idea of having two chains in case one runs into a problem. I read on here that Echo bars are unique, so I am not sure what chains will fit. I do not want to modify the bar. I just want to buy a new chain, put it on, and cut. Can you experts give me some direction? Thank you.

It should say on the bar what chain it takes. Those saws came with both .325” and 3/8 bars. Oregon has a great feature on their site for finding what bar and chain you need.
Faster cutting chain will be full chisel, but it does dull faster if they get into dirt. And of course pro chain is better then that stupid anti kick back crap. Learning how to properly sharpen is a much. Husqvarna makes a roller guide that actually works pretty decent, but free hand is better to get the gullet.

I know echos 20” bar is weird, takes 2 less drivers than most or vice versa can’t remember. Not sure about the 18” but I’m sure Oregon makes something. If your chain is sharp and different chain isn’t going to cut much better if at all.

You're going to need to buy a new chain every few times you use the saw unless you learn to sharpen 'em.

If you were planning to replace the one you have anyway, you have nothing to lose by trying!

ECHO chains are sometimes different lengths (drive link counts) than or some other brands of saws. If you buy them from your ECHO dealer, you may have a limited selection.

If you order them online, or buy from a full service dealer that makes the loops up from 100 foot rolls, you will have more choices.

Philbert

I have the CS-490 with 18" and 20" bars and just order the Oregon chains for both.
I hand sharpen, but if you are not comfortable, a dealer can sharpen for you at a cost.
I found that by letting my dealers tech tune the carb a little better, it will rev smoother.

I have cut 34" rounds with the CS-490, but it takes time. So for anything like 20" or less, it should be pretty quick like mine.

If you need part number let me know and I will go look for you.

Back