Echo CS590: Any Small Mods I Should do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Bunions

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
Now that I have a second relatively large saw to fall back on, I am going to get my Echo CS590 going. I plan to start by having a shop get it running.

After that, is there anything this saw ought to have done to it to improve it? I don't mean hot-rodding it, but I'll bet there are some good things the factory didn't do for environmental reasons or something. That's how a lot of products are now.

Right now, it has a 620P carb. I think everything else is stock.

The warranty is long dead, so I don't care about that.

cuttinstihl

cuttinstihl

ArboristSite Operative
Remove the inner deflector piece, the smaller piece on the bottom facing inwards. That'll undo quite a bit of restriction while still not being too loud

telecasterfool

telecasterfool

ArboristSite Member
What cuttinstihl said is right, and the easiest, best modification. I have a 590, and a 600p I have made some changes to. The base gasket delete made the biggest change on the 600p. The next best change is a 620p coil. I purchased mine used on Ebay. I really like my 590 for felling, and I like the outside bucking spike for it. Both of mine have the compression release button removed and plugged. Just some ideas...

cuttinstihl

cuttinstihl

ArboristSite Operative
What cuttinstihl said is right, and the easiest, best modification. I have a 590, and a 600p I have made some changes to. The base gasket delete made the biggest change on the 600p. The next best change is a 620p coil. I purchased mine used on Ebay. I really like my 590 for felling, and I like the outside bucking spike for it. Both of mine have the compression release button removed and plugged. Just some ideas...
What size bolt did you use to plug your decomp? I've heard they use a different pitch thread vs Stihl and Husky so the plug for those won't work

Paul Bunions

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
I have a Gearhead deflector and a flywheel key on the way. I think I'll open the muffler up very slightly.

The compression release is not bugging me at the moment, but I will keep it in mind.

ballisticdoughnut

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
What size bolt did you use to plug your decomp? I've heard they use a different pitch thread vs Stihl and Husky so the plug for those won't work
Thread is M10X1.25, I used a Honda GX160 oil drain plug to cap mine off. You need to cut the threads down on a lathe otherwise it will protrude into the combustion chamber.
IMG_0389.jpeg