Fast growing pines for privacy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBobcat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

At our old house we planted a bunch of pines on the lot line figuring when they grew up we would have a nice privacy wall. The pines came from our neighbor's yard. They would sprout to 4 - 5 inches and we would dig them and transplant them. I don't know what kind of pines they were, but they grew very quickly and within 10 years were probably 15 feet tall and 9 - 10 feet at the base.

I need to plant several hundred pines here at my new place. We're north of Minneapolis in zone 4. Very sandy soil. Direct sun.

We think those pines at the old house were cedar or spruce but we're not sure.

What would you recommend for a winter hardy pine which grows fast and thick and would work well for privacy?

I may sneak over to the old house and clip a limb to see if I can't take it somewhere for identification or post a picture here. But I would like to hear your recommendations.

Thanks!

You may want to google Eastern White Pine, Norway Spruce or White Spruce and see if they look familar. They all grow well in sandy well-drained soil and would work in zone 4.

"I think the pines are cedar or spruce"-oh My

This tells me a lot. Could you post a jpg of the tree? -

-North of the Twin Cities they plant a lot of Red Pine in the sandy soils, along with Jack pine if you want to grown pine. I suppose a Scotch pine might do ok there also.

Another tree would be a eastern red cedar that could handle the drier sites. White pine would not be my choice do to the exposed dry site.

Hi to the original poster,

You must mean "evergreen" when you say pine, So I will give you my two cents worth, OK?

Zone four poses problems to many species due to the cold temps in the winter and late frosts in the spring.

My family had about 60 acres in Christmas trees for years and we were located in the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan near Iron Mountain. This is in zone 4, and located in full sun on sandy soil.

We grew Balsam Fir, which matured to about 8' in about 8-10 years. We also had White Spruce which was faster growing. There were a few acres in Red Pine, which grew a bit faster than Spruce. Also Douglas Fir and Scotch pine. Neither were suitable for our area of zone 4 due to the late frost damage to the new succulent "candles" of fresh growth.

Jack pines were present as well, but they are a "dirty" tree, and I would not have them near my house.

White pine will grow, but make a thin screening tree.

If it were me, I would plant two rows. On the outside row I would plant Red Pine, and on the inside it would be White Spruce. If you want to plant close together, and would like to harvest some Christmas trees for yourself or to sell, go with Balsam Fir on the inner row and thin every other one in due time, as nothing beats a nice plantation grown Balsam for a Christmas tree!

Hope I have been helpful.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

At our old house we planted a bunch of pines on the lot line figuring when they grew up we would have a nice privacy wall. The pines came from our neighbor's yard. They would sprout to 4 - 5 inches and we would dig them and transplant them. I don't know what kind of pines they were, but they grew very quickly and within 10 years were probably 15 feet tall and 9 - 10 feet at the base.
snipped
I need to plant several hundred pines here at my new place. We're north of Minneapolis in zone 4. Very sandy soil. Direct sun.
snipped
I may sneak over to the old house and clip a limb
Thanks!

pics,pics,pics, and you will get your answer. Take a few showing the whole tree shape, then some close up of needles and trunk. pictures of any pine cones will help.

They check over at your neighbors and see if any new seedlings are still growing.

If not google around for a source of seedlings if you have the time and patience.

One source to check into, once we identify the tree that grows well in your area is... http://www.vanspinesnursery.com/

download the current inventory.

Back