Finally finished my home made band mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished Home Made Bandsaw

:cheers: Railomatic

Well made, good looking saw !!! I'm lucky enough to have one made by Gene 1605's OOOlder Brother, right here in SE Oklahoma. It looks remarkably like yours, except for the co-planar adjustment that you've added. I use Simmond's Red Streak 1-1/4" 158 inch bands @ $ 15.99 from Cook's Saw in GA, and get them re-sharpened for $ 6. If I got the currency exchange right, the 2-1/2 in stellite band would cost $ 148.50 US$ and re-sharpening would cost $ 23.00 US$ ? Question : I'm still a newbie, but is that expensive band really that much more efficient and cost effective ?

Railomatics New bandsaw

Railomatic

What advantage is the wide 2-1/2" band ? I suppose that it would track much straighter, and with much more feed than a more narrow band ? Like I indicated, I'm still learning about a very fascinating subject. Thanks for any input.

Judge

I went for a 2-1/2" band because it was the smallest band that Bennetts make, the width actually helps to support the stellite tips with a positive raked tooth, and the band doesn't need to be as tight because of the extra support it gives.
The tipps are straight and have no set because each tip cut both sides and at the front, thus guiding the tips through the timber, the blade is .90 of a millimeter, the tips are 2.00 mm so the entire blade never touches the gap.

When the blade gets blunt it slows down long before it starts to wander, this you can feel straight away whilst pushing through the timber, if you turn up the tension you get a few extra boards before you have to change over blades.

Railomatic's New bandsaw

Rail

Does it take considerable more horsepower to drive the 2-1/2" band, as opposed to a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" band ? What kind of engine do you have on the new mill ? What type of clutch do you run ? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm hooked on sawmilling!
Thanks.

Judge

info

Rail

Does it take considerable more horsepower to drive the 2-1/2" band, as opposed to a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" band ? What kind of engine do you have on the new mill ? What type of clutch do you run ? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm hooked on sawmilling!
Thanks.

Judge

Honda 13hp engine
20hp rated centrifugal clutch
the 2-1/2 inch tiped band cuts faster than any other I have tried and doesn't take any more driving than any other band, amd gives a very nice finish too.

Back