Finding those ellusive parts.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawingLumber

Reaction score
Over the course of a little more than a year I have been trying to get an Old Dolmar CT, type 115 saw running.

Some history: This saw has seen a lot of wood. It has cut down some seriously large trees in the Philadelphia, PA area during its prime operating period. Most of the wood harvested was used in milling counter and table tops, as well as general firewood production. It had been idle in a moist basement for around a decade when I found it. I began cleaning it, oiling it, and taking stock of the machine when I realized the carburetor and fuel lines required repair. Not having the time to rebuild the carb myself I sent it to a professional chainsaw repair shop, where the engine and carburetor was repaired and bar trued up, needless to say, the Dolmar CT roared to life! Later, she died again as the typical trigger and ignition components failed, I thought I was dead in the water based on what many on this website and others had said regarding parts acquisition.

Once again, it proves that who you know is critical. SuperDolmar, an aficionado of the Dolmar chain saw on this website, after I directly asked him questions regarding parts lead me to a French website where ignition components ARE AVAILABLE! After some research on http://www.easymotoculture.com I found the parts I required that where OEM! I contacted the owner, or owner representative wanting to speak with them in France prior to purchasing, and about shipping to the United States. Language barriers prohibited this from occurring; therefore, with the help of translation website, (http://www.freetranslation.com/en/trans ... ish-french) I was able to translate both from English to French and vice versa.

Christophe, as it turns out is wonderfully helpful regarding parts, and prides himself on his business and ability to find the parts you need, often he may have parts that are not listed on his website. Being his first American Customer, there were a few hickups regarding billing. If you make an international purchase, my suggestion is to use PayPal, as they don't charge an extra percentage on top of the value of your purchase, and only charge the exchange rate, not to mention PayPal would potentially give you two avenues of protection, one with your creditcard, and one through PayPal. Just make sure you have no 'holds' on purchasing with your credit card, and billing and shipping go on without a hitch!

If it wasn't for SuperDolmar, and Christophe at EasyMotoCulture, my saw would still be sitting idle waiting for a miracle, or for parts and an ignition conversion.

Sharing this experience is a befitting end to getting the saw running, and giving a shout out to those who helped make it a reality. This saw is a motor bike in your hands, I cannot wait to get to finally mill the lumber I need for woodworking projects to come!

********************************/phpbb3/images/smiles/goodjob.gif ********************************/phpbb3/images/smiles/thanks.gif ********************************/phpbb3/images/smiles/autsch.gif The head banging is finally over

Nice post! Refreshing to see a positive experience for everyone. As a side effect, you may have made a new friend in France!

"What on earth did we do before the internet?"
"... Not a whole hell of a lot!"

Yes, good guy, sent me a couple little Dolmar and Sachs lapel pins and a Dolmar pen. Good guy, likes seeing old saw roar to life, I respect that. So tired of our wasteful throw everything away society, many cases, they made it better in the past....what would do without the internet...well, this just wouldn't be an option at all!

Good to hear. Posting so I can find this info later for some dolly repairs of my own.

Back