Firewood grapple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any ideas where I can look for a decent firewood grapple for my tractor? I have a 2014 TYM T353, 35-hp machine with the TX3500 loader. Allegedly this thing can pick up 2200 lb with appropriate counterweight. I am looking for a narrow grapple, maybe 48" or less, that will be good for picking up logs for sawmilling, large rounds to set on my splitter, and also for moving rocks and piling brush. I really don't want what is commonly called a "root grapple" I need more 'precision' I guess. Looking for more of a grapple like you'd put on an excavator, but for a skid-steer mount.

I have looked at the Frostbite grapple, and the Igland equivalent which seems to be the same thing. Thomas (the sawmill manufacturer) apparently used to make a grapple but it has disappeared from their website. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I have 5 or 6 grapples and I hate them all. There is no one grapple that will do it all well, they all have their purpose. The most versatile bucket I have is a manure tine one but it doesn't have a grapple on it yet. I just mounted a set of grapple arms onto my forklift forks and use them for many things. I also added another fork on it so that it has 3 forks on it now. Works good for picking up brush, branches, logs but no good for loading firewood splits. I've posted lots of pics of my different attachments if you want to do a search using my user name.
I will give you the same advice I give everyone. DO NOT BUY A GRAPPLE UNTIL YOU HAVE RENTED THE EXACT ONE AND USED IT ON YOUR MACHINE AND LIFTING/ LOADING WHATEVER YOU PLAN TO LOAD. Otherwise you will be like me and have a dozen or more buckets/attachments.
IMG_20150809_200225.jpg IMG_20150809_195518.jpg

I'm not familiar with the tym tractors or how yours would compare to my 32 hp deere 2720 but you will probably be disappointed with the limited lift capacity with the added weight of the grapple
uploadfromtaptalk1443485972544.jpg
This is a pic of the grapple I have it is 48 in it works great for brush I can pick loads of brush I can't see over however I think it is a little to big for my machine I have picked up some firewood rounds and it's not bad but it won't handle much of a log my forks are what I go to for logs they are half the weight and with a lift capacity of about 1000 lbs any weight saved means a lot I was moving 17' hemlock logs the other day with the forks and was able to move up to about 20 in diameter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Any ideas where I can look for a decent firewood grapple for my tractor? I have a 2014 TYM T353, 35-hp machine with the TX3500 loader. Allegedly this thing can pick up 2200 lb with appropriate counterweight. I am looking for a narrow grapple, maybe 48" or less, that will be good for picking up logs for sawmilling, large rounds to set on my splitter, and also for moving rocks and piling brush. I really don't want what is commonly called a "root grapple" I need more 'precision' I guess. Looking for more of a grapple like you'd put on an excavator, but for a skid-steer mount.

I have looked at the Frostbite grapple, and the Igland equivalent which seems to be the same thing. Thomas (the sawmill manufacturer) apparently used to make a grapple but it has disappeared from their website. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Norse (Labonville) makes a narrow grapple looks like it would be a good all around grapple...

Back