First Brake Band fail happened today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my brake all the time on my saws haven't ever wore one out, nor have i seen one break that wasn't abused. Thats a narrow view, but the people i learned from always set the brake if the saw is running and they arnt cutting.
Normally it's pretty telling looking at the clutch bell how hard they were on the brake band. Discolored or worn are sure signs it's been misused.

Normally it's pretty telling looking at the clutch bell how hard they were on the brake band. Discolored or worn are sure signs it's been misused.
IMG-5680.jpg
That's probably the worst of it. I did check to make sure it's OEM in case there was an issue with the tolerances on aftermarker manufarcturing, and I believe it's the original one to the saw. Strikes me as a little odd how uneven the wear is, but I'm no expert.

View attachment 1064609
That's probably the worst of it. I did check to make sure it's OEM in case there was an issue with the tolerances on aftermarker manufarcturing, and I believe it's the original one to the saw. Strikes me as a little odd how uneven the wear is, but I'm no expert.
Yeah I'd say thays a sure sign they were using the brake improperly, or doing something to cause it to kick on a lot.

Someone could’ve tried removing the clutch cover with the brake engaged and kinked the band causing it to wear in one spot.

Usually when they wear and break naturally the worn area tapers over a couple inches each way. If it’s worn in one small spot where it broke it was kinked or couldn’t retract fully like I mentioned earlier

Someone could’ve tried removing the clutch cover with the brake engaged and kinked the band causing it to wear in one spot.
I think you are probably right. It is a favorite saw on the crew and it passes through many different hands. I can think of more than a few culprits that would just muscle the cover off if they didn't realize that the brake was engaged - or hadn't been taught that was step one. (senior guys assuming someone green knows something seemingly obvious has been an issue in the past round these parts.) thanks for your imput on this non-issue mystery of mine!

Latest posts

Back