First post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, new here, so i thought i`d do the decent thing and post a long and boring resume.
Just an amateur really and havent been cutting long. Got into it because of the shocking cost of fuel, and the fact that although i like my power tools,i`ve been wary of chainsaws. I`ve got a supply of free logs if i cut them myself though.:clap:

Started with a mac 438, which although a cheapy, is a reasonable worker. Now have a Stihl ms180, and an 026. The 180 cuts like a champ for a small saw. The 026 i i picked up cheaply as a poor runner, but has turned out to be a bit of a basket case project.

Turned out that it didnt run well because the piston was scored for one, and as i stripped it i discovered the oil pump was shot, further examination revealed end float on the crank shaft. Splitting the cases ejected the ball bearings over the shed floor.:dizzy: ho hum. Winter project.

Did consider junking it, but opinion seems to be that 026 are good saws, so i`ve put in new mains and seals and have more parts on the way. Ran most of the parts through the dishwasher(wife was out) and have polished the inlet, exhaust and transfers. The cyilnder was fortunately ok.

Should be a nice saw when together, with new piston and rings, oil pump, main bearings, bar and chain.:cheers:

I just cut deadfall mostly, to feed the stove and a bit of work at the gun club. Bought all the ppe gear straight off and `shadowed` a friend who has a farm and all the certificates to get an idea of safe handling.

Most of all i`m just enjoying using the saws and getting out. Theres nothing sweeter than a frosty morning out sawing firewood.

One thing i having grasped yet is the chain types/uses for different applications. If someone could take the time to explain or give a link to a sticky etc it would be appreciated.

Cheers Andy.

Welcome to AS! The 026 is a reliable little saw as they come. I have two of them at the moment and both are good runners. The 026 Pro was my first saw, and has been very good to me. If you have gone that far with yours, its worth finishing.

Yeah, its being altered drastically for the island games, so theres been a lot of clearing and felling. Couldnt tell you how good it is though cos i shoot sporting.

Im a DTL shooter at heart I even have a DTL number plate on my car lol
I have been in the Scottish ABT team 4 times but rarly shoot OT they are a bit Elitist for my liking!
Not many 100 bird sporting shoots up near Inverness but I won a 40 bird local shoot yesterday with a 36:cheers:
They have a driven grouse thats a aim 4 feet in front of the sheet of tin and when you see orange pull the trigger and hope!

Welcome to AS

I think you have a very good combo there. I just aquired a Solo 644(not on the Solo US homepage) with ~44ccm and 3.5hp. It's my "big" saw now.

Good luck with your project and don't give up! There are to many here lurking that will try to convince you that the project is futil and they will help you dispose of the rest! ;)

7sleeper

cancel your membership immediately, else you will spend all of your spare money on saws and your spare time on here reading all of the hapless ramblings. the chainsaws sing a siren's song for those of us on AS. we are powerless to fight it!!!!!!!

Back