Flash Flood of the century

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Have seen zero rain since midMarch, not necessarily rare here in west/central Texas, but it's been a crispy one this year. Four days ago, a stalled front brought our annual average rainfall in three days - this morning cruising around the county looking at the damage, I was saddened by my turn into Luckenbach (Waylon and Willie fame) where I tend the trees.

The dancehall, store, and the historic cotton gin were hit at 4:00am with a wall of mud, all merchandise destroyed (collections from 1845) and the beer-drinker's hall of fame decimated. I parked and assisted with clean-up but it's overwhelming. Happy to report however, the oaks survived - minor limb damage, mostly the mudflows caused havoc. One thing though - the cobra system didn't hold as well as my old cable bracing - one limb down but the old horse-drawn wagon fifteen feet up the tree was one hell of a test for tensile strength. The cabled limbs only had hell and highwater to resist.

Going back now to help with the kids loaded and ready - there are fourteen thousand commerative golf balls and five tons of t-shirts to move to a laundromat in town. Luckenbach's character has changed like most of America - it's become a tourist mecca with everything for sale at premium prices, yet somehow, this flood with all the sad but determined volunteers just may make it a true community again, with people being the important commodity instead of trinket reminders of something that was and can never be again. I've spent many a happy night pitchin' washers, drinking not just a few beers, and hearing some wonderful pickin' and singin. My best bud Juan Crouch is Hondo's son, the well known late mayor of Luckenbach.

I learned yet another lesson in being a true arborist - keep an 020 fueled and oiled in the truck at ALL times - never know when whatever can happen - the caretaker of the town was trapped with his woman in his little shack 'cause a hackberry fell into his living room, keeping them hostage in the bedroom - LP gas fumes and power still on and water risin'. He had a gash exposing his kneecap and blood a pumpin'. Everything I ever said bad about the new 020T, I take back - it started first pull and didn't spit until Mac and Reba made it out.

oakwilt, YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!!!!
good luck out there brother. i saw some footage
on the weather channel last night from texas.
over 8.5" of rain in the last 24 hrs. that alot of
water. i've heard of the flash floods in texas from
an old friend of mine that i used to bartend w/.
scary stuff!!!!!!
peace out,
budroe:cool:

Latest posts

Back