Flowering Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGRIGGS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who is having a tree problem. Currently, They have a tree (Flowering cherry) that has apparently died. This is the second tree in this location that has pased on.mad: The first tree was a Dogwood. The location is a 5 foot by 5 foot brick landscape area. For mulch they are using lava rock. This area get full sun. Both trees Died with in one year of being planted. Both tree got plenty of water.

What could be wrong.

Ron Griggs::

There are a hundred different factors that could affect your trees. For instance, I have no idea what type of soil you have there, or if the trees were planted properly and at the right depth.

The one thing that jumps out at me is the lava rock mulch in full sun. Seems like this could drastically increase the temp of the soil around new roots trying to get established. I would think mulch would retain moisture better and keep the soil cooler.

dead cherry?

Check the trunk for very small holes.We've lost several healthy Yoshino cherry's to this.I forget the name of the beatle that bores in,but the only option once they are in the tree is the saw.

There are some small indications on the trunk of the tree but they don't look like a parisite to me. Most are a 1/2 inch or less in length and have a charcoal like subtance that is brittle to the touch comming out of the the wound.

My first thought was the lava rock would cause the root system to be exposed to extream heat but, my neighbor has other trees doing well with the same type of lanscape stone as mulch. All of those tress are bradford pears. Could it be that the flowering cherry has a sensetive root system like the dogwood and can't take the heat? Could somone suggest which type tree other than bradford pear could thrive in this environment.

Thanks
Ron

Latest posts

Back