flowering pear tree problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiekidd

Reaction score
I have a few flowering pear trees in my yard and had a problem with one where a main branch split and broke off. Anyone know about this problem?

Yes, extremely common on these trees without proper maintence. B. Pears need a lot of thinning, and it's common for them to be cabled on large weak crotches.
Normally the tree will fill in on the split out side in a few years.

Pics are always a big help, I can't see your tree from here, athough you aren't that far from me.
-Ralph

edit- I assumed B. pear, the cleveland selects aren't as bad, but still require maintence thinning, and ime, cables to a lesser extent.

dixiekidd said:
I have a few flowering pear trees in my yard and had a problem with one where a main branch split and broke off. Anyone know about this problem?
Yes. A good remedy is a heavy application of bar and chain oil on the trunk, at the ground level.

So this problem shouldn't have occurred if the tree had been properly trimmed? Others in my household insist that these trees should be cut down since they have become so large, like this is the expected outcome. I don't want to for several reasons, ie. shade, beauty, etc.

Like Begley said very common on the the pears after a while for them to start breaking up with out maintainence. Post some pics, and get someone qualified to do some trimming work now before winter sets in and you have ice and snow problems on them as well.

Back