Forestry mower in Central Indiana?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, I have a buddy that has a 5 acre +/- wooded lot that needs most of the smaller trees and undergrowth dealt with and I think a forestry mower would make short of it but I cant find anyone in the south central part of the state that can do this sorta thing?

Any recommendations? Not all of the lot needs work, some of it is ravine etc.. But he wants to get it clear enough for the yard to be larger and maybe even allow a breeze through.

Lil help?

I use a company called GAL construction here in Missouri. They are out of Lebanon IN. Your job isn't that big, but if they are in the area they might do it. I would plan on $2k per day or more.

I use a company called GAL construction here in Missouri. They are out of Lebanon IN. Your job isn't that big, but if they are in the area they might do it. I would plan on $2k per day or more.

2K sounds like a lot, but I guess if they have a big enough machine it will be worth it because they would be in & out. Do you know if they use a skid steer or a dedicated big machine?

Thanks!

There is a company in Bloomington called EcoLogic that has a woods mower that can take down trees up to 8 inches. I don't have any idea what they would charge through.

There is a company in Bloomington called EcoLogic that has a woods mower that can take down trees up to 8 inches. I don't have any idea what they would charge through.

Thanks Chris,

I think my friend had him out, and he was totally disinterested, he told the home owner that he just needed a bush hog, and I know from experience walking the lot thats pure BS. Its full of trip hazard limbs and thickets and after spending time on a bush hog myself I can say that it would not provide the outcome the home owner wants..

The home owner wants all saplings and small trees obliterated, not cut down and left laying on the ground, and anything laying on the ground now needs to be turned into mulch (poison ivy and all).

It is a job that will require turning about 4 acres of wooded area with lots of underbrush into an area devoid of everything but the larger trees and we cant find anyone willing to work.

Part of me wants to buy a high flow bobcat and a mower head and go looking for work.

I can't answer your question exactly, but perhaps a place to ask to find out. Around here, the powerline contractors have a serious super dooper woods brush hog tankl green things megaobliterator they use. I just stopped and gawked at it one day when they showed up to trim the powerlines that cross over one corner of the farm, way grown up stuff, baby forest.

Maybe the same around where your friend needs it? Ask the power company who they contract with.

The one I saw them running here (skidder sized, huge mower on front, hanging chains to stop flying things...) was strong enough to about shred not only small trees but also several nice steel T posts I had to replace. mangled city. I doubt it slowed it down much.

It was one of those machines I go "every boy NEEDS one of these..." It would have been cool in a japanese mecha movie...

with that said..whenever something needs clearing around here, joe boss just uses a crawler and makes a few crap piles...

Back