Found the Perfect Tool for Husqvarna Band Clamps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt a Husky 350 and changed out the plastic clamp for a metal one. I spent more time messing with that dumb thing than I care to admit. When I finally got it snapped, it was in the wrong spot, twice.

Well trying to do it with regular and needle nose pliers was part of the problem. Well then I had an idea...I bought an odd pair of pliers at a yardage last summer and had no idea what they were for at the time.

20200506_135237.jpg

Fully closed they leave a gap at the end. Turns out they are for T connectors like you would use on automotive wire connections. But it also turns out that fully closed they are the perfect distance to snap those metal bands without crushing them. Just squeeze until the pop and you're done.

That's possible too I guess. I didn't have one of those.

Nope, but my reply was aimed at those that do not have a pair of T connector pliers at their disposal. :)
Mind you, I guess any smaller set of cheap pliers and an angle grinder, you might be able to fashion something up.
Personally I find it easier to use the 372 385/390 screw clamps and find the OEM replacement snap bands a pain in the ass, but if you do not tinker much with a saw after the initial rebuild, metal snap bands are great- much better than the plastic snap they replaced.

Nope, but my reply was aimed at those that do not have a pair of T connector pliers at their disposal. :)
Mind you, I guess any smaller set of cheap pliers and an angle grinder, you might be able to fashion something up.
Personally I find it easier to use the 372 385/390 screw clamps and find the OEM replacement snap bands a pain in the ass, but if you do not tinker much with a saw after the initial rebuild, metal snap bands are great- much better than the plastic snap they replaced.
Yeah, its probably not a common tool but they are around and pretty cheap on Amazon. I didn't even think about cv boot pliers.

A pair of small (4 to 6 inch) end nipping pliers works if you can't find the correct tool. Many brands, perhaps even HF sells them.

Back