Four Random Tree Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6919

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a few random questions for all you tree experts:

Liquid Ambar; I planted 4 trees last year and deep watered in the hot months, stopped during winter when it was cooler and rainy. It's starting to get warm again, but the soil is still somewhat moist. When is a good time to start deep watering again? Should I do this cycle through the life of the tree, or should I taper off at some point. Do they ever need fertilizer?

King Palm; I lost a king due to errors in watering (the sprinklers were to high for this corner, but the problem is corrected). I replanted a new tree in this same spot, and have two other existing trees. I usually fertilize according to the palm fertilizer instructions - I'll have to check the tub but I think it's every 3 months which is coming up this Sunday. Should I fertilize the new tree too, or give it a period of rest first. When is a good time?

Minneola Tangerine; I have spider mites on this tree. I sprayed it with neem oil when it wasn't in blossom. Now I'm seeing tiny blossom buds, is it ok to continue with the neem? I usually spray once a week for a month to get rid of the mites, then once a month for maintenance until I'll taper off all together. I love neem!
View attachment 33231
Leaning Tree - Problem?; Lastly, here is a photo of one of the liquid ambars. I took out the support pole and it seems pretty strong but slightly leaning. Does this look like too much of a lean? Should I add the pole back? It's pretty solid and only sways gently in a strong wind.

Thanks for any advice! I attribute nice healthy trees to advice given here in the past, so I knew this was the place to ask my questions again. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/biggrinbounce2.gif
:biggrinbounce2:

Christina

cnswift said:
Hello,

I've got a few random questions for all you tree experts:

Liquid Ambar; I planted 4 trees last year and deep watered in the hot months, stopped during winter when it was cooler and rainy. It's starting to get warm again, but the soil is still somewhat moist. When is a good time to start deep watering again? Should I do this cycle through the life of the tree, or should I taper off at some point. Do they ever need fertilizer?

King Palm; I lost a king due to errors in watering (the sprinklers were to high for this corner, but the problem is corrected). I replanted a new tree in this same spot, and have two other existing trees. I usually fertilize according to the palm fertilizer instructions - I'll have to check the tub but I think it's every 3 months which is coming up this Sunday. Should I fertilize the new tree too, or give it a period of rest first. When is a good time?

Minneola Tangerine; I have spider mites on this tree. I sprayed it with neem oil when it wasn't in blossom. Now I'm seeing tiny blossom buds, is it ok to continue with the neem? I usually spray once a week for a month to get rid of the mites, then once a month for maintenance until I'll taper off all together. I love neem!
View attachment 33231
Leaning Tree - Problem?; Lastly, here is a photo of one of the liquid ambars. I took out the support pole and it seems pretty strong but slightly leaning. Does this look like too much of a lean? Should I add the pole back? It's pretty solid and only sways gently in a strong wind.

Thanks for any advice! I attribute nice healthy trees to advice given here in the past, so I knew this was the place to ask my questions again. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/biggrinbounce2.gif
:biggrinbounce2:

Christina

1. I would suggest getting a soil moisture meter to check your soil with. Overwatering can do in a tree right quick. Generally, supplemental watering is needed for the establishment period of any new trees, rule of thumb is about a year per inch of trunk caliper.

2. I'm not a palm expert, so I won't be much help there.

3. I would wait on spraying the tree untill the new growth hardens off, oils can damage new succulent growth. You can check for mites by tapping the limbs over a clean sheet of paper to knock off mites, and see if they are present. Why spray if there is nothing to control?

4. as long as when you rock the trunk there is no movement of the soil around the base that could indicate root ball shifting, you should be fine.

Thanks so much for the reply. In your answer for #1 you said one year per inch, could you elaborate please? Does this mean if my trunk is 4" across that I should supplement my watering for 4 years? I do have a moisture meter, which comes in really handy - wish I used it when I lost the palm!

The lean does not sound like a problem; Liquidambar will self-correct;looks like it is already doing that.

I would not fertilize that tree in that location; it would only hasten the day when it will crack your hardscape.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease. Taking the support off the tree felt kind of like getting a cast off a broken foot for the first time - a little scary but good to see it gone.

It will also be nice to not have to worry about fertilizer.

Christina

cnswift said:
Thanks so much for the reply. In your answer for #1 you said one year per inch, could you elaborate please? Does this mean if my trunk is 4" across that I should supplement my watering for 4 years? I do have a moisture meter, which comes in really handy - wish I used it when I lost the palm!

That's right. It takes a lot of time for a tree to reestablish the roots lost in the transplanting process, so the remaining roots have to have it good!

Latest posts

Back