Free walnut and more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl-in-Ky

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
A co-workers uncle owns a heavy equipment company,they are clearing for a new subdivision,he told me I could have anyting I could cut before they burned it so far have cut walnut,ash,cherry,red elm,honey locust and Ky. coffee bean trees.The last picture shows the grain of the honey locust.

Looks like one helluva find! If you ever want a milling buddy for a day give me a holler and Ill run up and join ya for an afternoon.:cheers:

nice score. I am jealous, the snow is still melting here(we got 2 feet on saint pattys day). I milled a few shorts the other day, now I want to mill even more. Great pile of logs there.

Dustytools sounds good have only been doing this less than a year and need all the new ideas and help I can get. What is your work schedule like,am not going to do much milling until this supply runs out may be another week or two.Got 2 more truck loads in the last 2 days now have about 50 walnut logs six to eight feet long.:chainsaw:

wow dude !

nice freebie you got there for real ! I have a friend that clears too and im thinking about gettin logs to cut also ! peace !:crazy1:

Dustytools sounds good have only been doing this less than a year and need all the new ideas and help I can get. What is your work schedule like,am not going to do much milling until this supply runs out may be another week or two.Got 2 more truck loads in the last 2 days now have about 50 walnut logs six to eight feet long.:chainsaw:

I have been at it for less than a year also. Weekdays are very busy as I am working in Louisville right now, but a weekend day should work good for me. Let me know. Thanks.

Coincidence

Yesterday I got to talking with a guy who does dumptruck and clearing work, and he said he'd probably be clearing off an assortment of oak, hickory and pecan soon, he'd be happy to bring me whatever I could use.

:blob2:

Then he mentioned he had some oaks and pecans down on his own property (he lives about 2 miles away) that I could have for the taking. By the time I got over there, it was too late to do much, but I started bucking one pecan that I'd estimated at about 24" dbh (I'll measure it next time and see how wrong I am.)

Seems a lot of people are sympathetic to treecycling around here... my little 12x12 drying shed might get too small.

At least, I hope it does!

Last edited:
You can call it lucky if you want but it always helps to talkto people about what you do with wood.
almost all my good scores came from talking with someone and they in turn knew someone else that had either tree or another source.You just got to talk it up!

You can call it lucky if you want but it always helps to talkto people about what you do with wood.
almost all my good scores came from talking with someone and they in turn knew someone else that had either tree or another source.You just got to talk it up!

Yep, the logs I've been hauling for the last week were spotted by my FIL who just happened to be driving by. I stopped by the site, talked to the excavator operator, got the boss man's phone number, and the rest is history. I'm really doing them a favor by removing over 100,000 lbs (probably closer to 120,000) of what they consider debris.

I'm finding that to be the case. Took me a while to figure that out, since I'm basically antisocial, but you're absolutely right -- talking it up pays.

ps: I"m tempted to go visit some of my relatives in KY just so I can stop by and talk you outta one of those walnut logs. ;)

since I'm basically antisocial

describes me to a tee. I have noticed word gets around that I mill. My family members talk it up more than I do. Delivery people see me milling when delivery's are made, people offer me wood for my owb, a lot of that goes in the to be milled pile. Word does get around. People just seem fascinated with the chainsaw as a mill. They will see my pile of lumber drying, and can't believe that it was done with a chainsaw, and need to see it for themselves.

describes me to a tee. I have noticed word gets around that I mill. My family members talk it up more than I do. Delivery people see me milling when delivery's are made, people offer me wood for my owb, a lot of that goes in the to be milled pile. Word does get around. People just seem fascinated with the chainsaw as a mill. They will see my pile of lumber drying, and can't believe that it was done with a chainsaw, and need to see it for themselves.

So true. Delivery people, neighbors, random people at gas stations when you have a load of logs, cants or lumber, and on and on. They just won't leave me a lone!:)

It's funny that what folks like us almost take for granted will absolutely amaze others. Just yesterday I stopped by a Stihl dealer with the 084 wearing just a 44" bar. I actually had people who make their living selling saws and such taking pictures of me and my saw because they had never seen anything like it.

So true. Delivery people, neighbors, random people at gas stations when you have a load of logs, cants or lumber, and on and on. They just won't leave me a lone!:)

It's funny that what folks like us almost take for granted will absolutely amaze others. Just yesterday I stopped by a Stihl dealer with the 084 wearing just a 44" bar. I actually had people who make their living selling saws and such taking pictures of me and my saw because they had never seen anything like it.

I can imagine. When I went to order (yes, had to order it) my 660, they acted like it was a big deal. "You sure a 460 won't do? Or a 650?" Then when I picked it up, the owner and the lead tech came out to give it to. I felt almost silly -- all that fuss over a 660 with a 32" bar.

They kinda like it when I order stuff by the part #, though. ;)

I can imagine. When I went to order (yes, had to order it) my 660, they acted like it was a big deal. "You sure a 460 won't do? Or a 650?" Then when I picked it up, the owner and the lead tech came out to give it to. I felt almost silly -- all that fuss over a 660 with a 32" bar.

They kinda like it when I order stuff by the part #, though. ;)

My old dealer was like that. They ordered one 660 a year and made a big issue of having it. When it was gone, it was gone, unless you wanted to special order one. One of my last trips there, the kid behind the counter was making "googly eyes" at it when I was looking it over. He made some comment about it being "only for professionals", and I said "Yeah, I've got one of those". He wound up like a 6 year old slamming a 12 pack of Mountain Dew. Then he started on about the 880, and I told him I had the Husky version of it. For a brief moment in time, I was a chainsaw god. No pictures though.

Mark

Back