freebie pressure washer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kogafortwo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
One of my co-worker's neighbors put out a small pressure washer with his trash, included the hose and nozzle and a half-full tank of fresh smelling fuel. He said it wouldn't pressure up when he was using it a week or two ago.

I took the high pressure hose apart at the connections, cleaned a wad of sludge out of the screen filter, flushed the pump and hose & nozzle out for a while, and topped off the engine with 30 weight. I fired up the little 3.5 hp Briggs and washed part of my house, sidewalk, and 2 cars with it right on the spot.

Ya gotta be grateful for the clueless out there who throw this stuff away.
:greenchainsaw:

One of my co-worker's neighbors put out a small pressure washer with his trash, included the hose and nozzle and a half-full tank of fresh smelling fuel. He said it wouldn't pressure up when he was using it a week or two ago.

I took the high pressure hose apart at the connections, cleaned a wad of sludge out of the screen filter, flushed the pump and hose & nozzle out for a while, and topped off the engine with 30 weight. I fired up the little 3.5 hp Briggs and washed part of my house, sidewalk, and 2 cars with it right on the spot.

Ya gotta be grateful for the clueless out there who throw this stuff away.
:greenchainsaw:

lol ... that's a sweet deal for you, especially since the pressure washer is driven by an engine! How many PSI?

I kind of like being able to get into things and figure them out. It puts me in a position to enjoy deals similar to the one that you just got.

:cheers:

Well Koga,how about an update on the lawn tractor.

The lawn tractor deal:

Well, last Sunday was mechanic's day for me, so I tore into 4 different pieces of equipment. My garage was starting to look like a repair shop instead of the place to park cars.

1. Pressure washer - see thread above
2. Co-worker's beat string trimmer - could not get it running in the 1 hour I was willing to invest in it, gave it back to him Monday and told him to get out the credit card. I could not convince him to get a baby Stihl FS45 or even an Echo, so I guess he'll get a Lowe's Depot or K-Wal unit again.
3. The Snapper rear-engine rider - tore the old Briggs motor apart and it had about 2 feet of side play in the valve guide (OK, 2 feet is a slight exaggeration). One of the shops in town here said he could get the old Briggs replacement guides and put them in for me, but he also had a new-in-the-crate 8 hp vertical shaft Briggs motor on the shelf that would bolt right up and I could have it for $275 with a 1 year shop warranty. You can guess which deal I took.

4. And now the lawn tractor deal: the "big" Snapper got its rear axle jacked up off the ground to diagnose exactly where the whole drive system is not engaging. If you're not familiar with Snapper's older "D" type tractors, what they have is a horizontal shaft engine with a drive shaft that runs under the console and ends in a big honkin' flywheel style disk under the seat. It faces toward the back. Then a rubber driven disk rides on a spring loaded carriage that you move back and forth with the shift lever, so it's a CVT friction type of drive.

The rubber disk drives a shaft that goes into a chain case with a sprocket gear reduction, like a bike chain. Then the output shaft of the chaincase is the input shaft of the transaxle/differential unit.

In the transaxle, the input shaft goes to an intermediate shaft with a chain drive, then there are a couple of gears and sprockets, I think another intermediate shaft, then the axle shaft with the diffy's gear cluster.

What I figured out without disassembling it yet: the drive doesn't transfer from the input shaft to the first intediate shaft. So it has to be a broken chain or stripped sprocket at the top of the transaxle. I have been asking around Mytractorforum and Lawnsite for who knows how to dig into these old Snappers, but no good answers yet. Guess I'll have to buy an old repair manual on Fleabay.

I pushed the tractor back under the tarp by the woodpile. I'll work on it this winter when I have the time and ambition again. Gotta put in the fall garden vegetables first and deal with the rest of this season's mowing and yard work.

Thanks for asking, hope you weren't bored with the long story.

Last edited:
I sucked up a pressure washer w/10 hp Tecumseh last year...took all of the plugs/strainers out of the pump, shot it full of WD-40, made it come alive. I need to get rid of it...not enough room in the shed, plus scored a smaller one recently...needs some throttle linkage pieces...if anyone's in northern Va, eastern WV, Md. PM me...like to see it in a good home.

Always interested in the projects and progress (if any) that's being made.
Most of the trimmers around here have plugged spark screens,I think a lot of guys use up their old outboard motor gas in their trimmers or use TCW in their mix.Usually an oily mess, since the TCW oil doesn't burn very clean in air-cooled stuff.

Latest posts

Back