FS 240 trimmer vs FS 240 vs ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Justice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If this is not the proper forum please forgive me and maybe someone can move it to the proper location. Need a brush cutter for briars and brambles and tall grass, and minimal trees - maybe occasionally 1 inch. Unread somewhere 240 is 2 stroke and the R model is the valved engine. I have an old FS100Rx w valves. Sluggish and a bit disappointing in heavy grass.

AND do these trimmers come with a decent harness. Will be used on rough ground (storm blowdown environment) and occ on v steep slopes.

OR can you recommend another option. Thank you!!

Both FS 240 have a stratified scavening 2 Stroke engine without valves with a 1 point AV System. I would recomend a Clearing saw with a better AV System for this, for example the FS 360. The clearing saws will also have a better harness.

240 is fine, great tool, get the brush one with the handle bars, harness is good enough. I use mulcher blades, its not a usa stilh stock blade, but almost all dealers carry a version of it.
360 is good too but 240 is lighter and just as good for your needs,. I beat down all kinds of brush bramble etc, also us a 410u ECHO, they are simular-ish in power, 240 is lighter.

I have an FS 85T, long before valved engines. That thing will make the fur fly, so I expect an FS 240 would even moreso. I'd avoid a valved version. The valved engine on my 800 backpack blower has been a PITA. Two years and a few days into the warranty period, it ran rough and would not make power. By contrast, the FS 85 has lasted me about 18 years, starting to get a little ragged and needs a new primer bulb, but can't complain about its service. Spark plugs, clean the screen occasionally, and either blow out air filter or swap it once in a while, and it has been good to go. After the blower experience, I will avoid the valved engines going forward.

Too steep for a bush hog, I guess? I use a John Deere 4 series with an older International bush hog, on pretty steep slopes on our Kentucky property, straight up and down. Waist high grass, some woody undergrowth, but about 95% grass to 5% undergrowth. It was an old dairy farm, gone to beef cow pasture. The bush hog goes over wild rose bushes and briars easily. If I can't turn around safely at the toe of the slope, I just go back the way I came in reverse. Max slope at my place is maybe 10%, according to my truck's "off road" computer. Cows have tromped some paths, and there are a few wash outs and dips and swales, but a lot of where I take the tractor is not terribly rough ground.

Back