Gas or diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She finally burned through a 2nd valve. No surprise, I already ground off more meat from when I had head off and touched up valves from first burn. $20 head gasket and 94,800 later, burned a 2nd...hehehe...

Couple weekends ago I swapped block with this crazy head mill idea that I hope worked. And it did sorta...

Milled 048 off head
020 over, plus moved from 5cc to 3cc dish aluminum.

I'm sure I lost a cc on chambers. I think they ended up being 27cc after shave with old ground valves? I'm not certain. Too many brews.

Ported exhaust runners , polished chambers, 35hrs just with most done at work on my 'paid' breaks, so I made out like a fat rat on that one, I shined that dude I could use it as a mirror and pick me teeth clean... new guides and exhaust valves,

Coldest plugs, and 2* back from factory 10* base advance, still wants to rattle randomly when ecm calls for more advance playing over 4000... Oh well, it should manage if driven normally. Oh, 92/93 octane too. I guessed and got way to wild on the head shave....

I'm busting 55/57 range for mpg.

Need to buy an adjustable gear, I took off so much meat, the cam gear walked the belt, and now factory timing needs to be disregarded. I had to jump a tooth to get it to fire, but a full tooth skip is too much, angerly growls through the intake and looses nearly all top end. I get that straightened 60mpg I'm sure is easily achievable.

$620 total for parts. Including hanging new aluminum on rods and block dip and bore. I did my own head work, assembly, and swap.

Figured someone would be curious.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

You have WAAAYYY too much talent on your hands. Most people don't even know what the firing order is in their engine let alone building one like yours on such a budget as you have. Cheers bro.:cheers:

Well, I didn't want to stuff in a totally redone block, I was hoping the rear axle swing would rip out from the unibody so it'd be a logical excuse for a newer vehicle.... Grrr... It'll rip out soon, she's rusty!

I had to go with a 160* Tstat, with modifying the small bypass hole to keep temp down, but now that it's colder, it bypasses too much water, and with the larger radiator, I can't get anymore then 90*f out the vents. So, lazy man I am, duct taped a trimmed piece of sheet steel to block 3/4 of the radiator, and I'll just remove it this spring. Heh.

But, still, I have the problem of the head not soaking heat fast enough, if I hog 5000rpm long enough, she'll starting pinging regardless. Only confirmation was a tank of leaded 110, zero problems, even @ 190*F...

But O2 sensors hate lead, and wallet hates 7.70/gal.....

I went diesel. Made 540,000 miles on the Aspire. It still runs, just a yard vehicle. It's officially been converted to Flintstone brakes.

09 CR vw jetta wagon. 6sp manual.
Dpf delete and retune, here I come!

I have a 2001 TDI 5spd 350,000kms, never been to the dealer.
Just bought 2002 TDI 5spd with 142,000 kms
Have a Dodge diesel.
All have been decent autos!!!!
but with diesel prices,, hard to say.....
BBB

Back