Gas Spill---Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2stroker

2stroker

ArboristSite Operative
Stopped at a saw shop on the way home tonight and p/u a Stihl S10( broken parts but has compression), Homie 750(missing parts), and a johnnyred 49 (complete!)all for $60 bucks plus a blue Atom electronic points replacement module. Threw it all in the van and drove away grinning until the smell hit me. The S10 spit gas/varnish on the carpet.
I thought if any group would know how to fix the smell it would be AS.
I await your advice with pinched nose.
Regards,
Don

showrguy

showrguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
dump a couple of boxes of baking soda on it while it's still wet, work it in, let dry, suck up with shop vac....... don't tell the wife..
if ya still got smell, spray the **** outa it with febreze

edit: i was gonna say "don't do it again"...
but you probably won't..

Last edited:
Nailgunner

Nailgunner

ArboristSite Operative
Swab the carpet out with general purpose detergent and dry it as far as possible. Set the ventillation to fresh-air intake, fans to full, heater to maximum and blast away. It goes after a bit.

Don't use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the fuel or you'll blow yourself into a Darwin Award.

2stroker

2stroker

ArboristSite Operative
Still smells

Thanks for the advice (except the match one):(
I diluted it with water and sucked it out as best I could w/ the little spot shampooer ( Cleaning that is a whole other adventure!) We'er out of Baking Soda so I tried what was at hand- kitty litter. I'll vacuum that up tomorrow and go from there.
Thanks,
2Stroker

epicklein22
I would just continue to repeat your cleaning steps. It might take a while. I have had tons of saws in my car before, but never had a spill. (Crossing my fingers). I have driven home with the smell though, that just plain sucks. Windows are atleast cracked not matter what the weather is.

At least you got some killer saws. The 750 is the gem.

Don, My brother and I will be out in your area tomorrow morning and afternoon. My local mountain bike club is doing trail maintenance out at Reagan park.

Major Wood

Major Wood

ArboristSite Lurker
After you get it cleaned up throw a few pieces of Kingsford Charcoal in the van it should help absorb the smell. For kicks and giggles throw them in your grill in the spring and you won't need lighter fluid:hmm3grin2orange: Seriously the charcoal should work.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I spilled some gas on some polyester fleece gloves and tried everything. Ran them through the washer with all kinds of detergent, tried soaking them in all kinds of stuff, e-mailed one of the gas companies for their advice, looked it up on google, etc.

Only thing that worked was leaving them out in the garage for several weeks to let the smell dissipate. Might be differnent with different fabrics and fibers.

Sorry - not what you wanted to hear. But if you find something that works, I would be interested and hope that you share it.

Philbert

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I spilled some gas on some polyester fleece gloves and tried everything. Ran them through the washer with all kinds of detergent, tried soaking them in all kinds of stuff, e-mailed one of the gas companies for their advice, looked it up on google, etc.

Only thing that worked was leaving them out in the garage for several weeks to let the smell dissipate. Might be differnent with different fabrics and fibers.

Sorry - not what you wanted to hear. But if you find something that works, I would be interested and hope that you share it.

Philbert

So, take the carpet out and put it in the garage.:hmm3grin2orange:

Actually, I would do the simple green or orange cleaner and clean it repeatedly. They both take the smell off my hands, so they will work on carpet.

KenManiac

KenManiac

ArboristSite Lurker
stanky gas odor

had a problem on may car with a fuel line popping out of the tank and spraying gas in the car. stank for days.

i used lots of water with some liquid detergent, helped some, but what really fixed it was a couple handfuls of barbecue charcoal briquettes ground in, let sit for a few days, then vacuumed up (after ALL liquid has been dry for days!).

activated charcoal, ya know?

smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Air

"might wanna invest in those little tree air fresheners"

=========

Remember the tree air freshener rule.

If you actually work in the woods you are required to hang that tree on its side with a set of felling cuts on the stump.

If it is still in the original vertical this is a code that you support the Sierra Club. (Like one of those tap dance in the bathroom stall codes for gays looking for buddys. Hey, I just heard about the bathroom stuff on TV !)

Acchhemmmm.

Last edited:
stephen44

stephen44

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the advice (except the match one):(
I diluted it with water and sucked it out as best I could w/ the little spot shampooer ( Cleaning that is a whole other adventure!) We'er out of Baking Soda so I tried what was at hand- kitty litter. I'll vacuum that up tomorrow and go from there.
Thanks,
2Stroker

http://odorxit.com/ - I use it - it really does work - uses enzymes to destroy the smell - not just cover it up.

I use it on per urine - gone in 48 hours - look at the web site for examples.

(no - i'm not connected :D )

woodyman

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
The dealership I used to work for had this guy in the clean-up,detail shop that would take the pressure washer to the inside carpets then use the 6H.P. shop vac to suck the water out(thought he was a little weird).My old logging boss would take cedar needles and put them on the floor of his pickup truck.

KenManiac

KenManiac

ArboristSite Lurker
gas line

well, it didn't run inside, exactly, but the sheetmetal cover over the fuel pump wasn't put back correctly.

same person who broke the clip that holds the fuel line in place.

had the car for 3 days. got lucky, no pretty ball of flame, still have the car 40K miles later.

SAAB 9000, for the record

Latest posts