Get a Rope! Which One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of getting a 3/4 or 5/8'' rope. Is the 1/2'' better?

Using a rope bigger than 1/2" would make some of the the techniques and toys that other climbers use difficult to adapt to your climbing rope.

Plus it would be awfully heavy to carry around

Why would you want a rope bigger than 1/2"?

#1, I am asking because I am a neewbe.
#2, I thought it may be easier to climb using the secured foot lock technique.
but like i said i am a neewbe
Thanks

#2, I thought it may be easier to climb using the secured foot lock technique.
but like i said i am a neewbe
Thanks

Foot locking would be easier. I know in my few attempts at it so far I have wished the rope was fatter :).

As gasman noted, it would be alot harder to find gear to fit those ropes. Things like ascenders, descenders and pulleys.

1/2" and 7/16" are pretty much the standard for arborist climbing lines.

Before You Do Anything........

Before you do or buy anything. Pick up a copy of the Tree Climbers Companion By Jeff Jepson. This is the best $14 you will spend. Read this first. You gain insight into the whole tree climbing picture!!!

17371.jpg

AMEN to that!!!! Buy the book, read it, read it, and read it again!!! Carry it with you're gear!!!

Get a good quality 16 strand 1/2 inch rope. I like arbormaster the best. It's rated at 8100 lbs. Makes for a good lowering rope as well.

X2

Before you do or buy anything. Pick up a copy of the Tree Climbers Companion By Jeff Jepson. This is the best $14 you will spend. Read this first. You gain insight into the whole tree climbing picture!!!

17371.jpg

no one should climb without reading this book first.

i like arbormaster or hi vee.

x3

17371.jpg

I second the getting of the tree climber companion. I also recomend the arbormaster climbing line. I like the blue streak or the red white and black. Both work well and have a good hand. Opinions are like noses everybody has one.
good luck and good on you for admiting you are new and need help.
Jared

Yeah 1/2 inch is all you need to climb. I get worried when guys want an 8000 rating, like they use it for lowering or something. Good Question though, I learn best by talking to guys who know decades more than me... rather than doing what I THINK is best and having terrible results. Climb safe.

forestry pro

i just bought a reel of 1/2in forestry pro. after going through 2 150ft ropes this summer the price was very attractive. does anyone have any experience with this rope?

I always liked Forestry Pro. Never any complaints about it. I switched over to Velocity a couple years ago when I started using a Lockjack. 'Otherwise, I'd still be using it.
Phil

re

poison ivy, love the feel, very firm believer in using climbing lines as climbing lines only, to me its principal and self respect

Latest posts

Back