getting a new pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneadam12

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
anyone out there got any recommendations on a pole saw. I have looked at a couple, but still haven't made up my mind. All pros and cons welcome.

If you're not going to use it "a lot", think about a unit like a Stihl KM 110. You can add extensions for reach, and use it as a hedge trimmer, weed-eater etc.

Hard to beat an HT101 though if you want a telescoping dedicated unit.

the HT101 is nice. I personallly am biased toward Echo products though, Stihl is a very good choice though, I dont know much about the Husqvarna units, but they look pretty good.

the ht 101 is the one i have looked at the hardest, but it's the only model the local dealer has. my dealer isn't exactly the best in the world, in fact, he's the reason i started tinkering with my saw in the first place. John Deere makes the cheapest model in this area, with parts readily available, not sure if that is so great.:hmm3grin2orange: I can also get a husky at the Deere shop. The high price end down here is Shindaiwa, other than that, i don't know much about it. I think I saw an echo at home depot, but i'm not sure if i can get one anywhere else localy. Those are about my only options. Guess i need to get serious about the differnt models, thanks for the info.

I think the power curve on the stihl 4 mix engine would be hard to beat. I run the older 2 stroke stihls also,no other professional models in other brands. The 101 extended feels heavy on the top end but has good reach. Need to keep a good strong hold on it so it doesn't get away from you. I would prefer it when standing on the ground,if in a bucket or climbing I would prefer a shorter lighter model. 101 is pricey, would be a good investment if you use it enough. I bought this summer a poulan pro for my own use.It was under $200 new. Looks built cheap,runs good,I only used it 1 day,it is lighter then the true professional models,has good reach and it easily switches over to other attachments,(string trimmer,blower,etc.) I do not know how well it will last as it is advertised for occasional users.I do think the 8 inch bar is to short and plan on trying a 12 because at an normal angle from the ground up the bar doesnt get deep in the branch of bigger limbs.

I've used the 2stroke Stihl for years, really like it, I'm small and light and have no problem handling it. Used a 4stroke Stihl (borrowed) on one job and found the weight difference to be noticable, affects how long and how accurately I can use it. Tried a friends Husky pole saw once, it was quite flimsy compared to the Stihl and the chain tensioning was poxy, it would pass at a pinch if $$ are an issue.
Bottom line, will it start & run well, can you handle the weight over time, can you get parts, will you use it enough to justify $$$ ?

Stihl HT101

I also have an old Echo PowerPruner . . . not sure of the weight but it feels heavier and bulkier than the Stihl.

I didn't like the power curve on the Husky I borrowed from a friend.

i'm a husky guy but i got the stihl 101

and i highly recommend it.the husky isn't telescopic and you'll regret not getting that feature.i didn't like the weight of the echo.i wasn't sure about the 4mix at first.seems like it's gonna stall at idle but it hasn't yet.i got mine for $569 at the local dealer and it's worth every penny.

The telescopic sounds very nice! If money is no object definly look at the Shindawiaws though!! I hove the 231 powerhead and most attachments and love it!!!!! Ooodles of power, easy to start and low maintenece. BUT......YOU WILL PAY FOR IT!!!
Andy

thanks for all the info everyone. I am still leaning toward the stihl though. I have a ms310 that i will probably sell or try to trade in for the pole saw that is only 3 years old. After Katrina, it wasn't quite enough saw so with the lack of options at the time...i bought a husky 575 (got ripped off). I hate to part with it, but i have too many other options on this farm. Father-in-law has a 440, 039, 310, and a 029 so i don't think i'll be hurting for a saw. going on vaction tomorrow, be back soon.

Latest posts

Back