Getting ready for the season!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
Ahhhhh!
Welcome September. I am actually looking forward to colder weather. Summer has been a bummer this year. Cool and rainy for most of it. When it was hot it was really hot like 90 plus. Michigan is renowned for it's great summers but I guess this year was not the year. Oh well you can't win all the time!

I am also looking forward to using my "new" wood stove. I sold a lot of firewood late last winter and over the summer and almost paid for the new stove install in cash. The chimney is in place and I am waiting for the through the wall thimble and the adapter piece to be delivered. Everything else I bought from a person here in Michigan. She didn't have the thimble or the adapter and i had to order it online. The stuff from the local big box stores won't match up.

Basically what I did was to remove the fireplace insert and the inner and secondary liners of the triple wall air cooled chimney. I left the outer pipe in place. I did cut some of it away just above where the fireplace used to connect to it. It had an offset in the chimney so I removed it all.

I decided to leave the outer pipe in place and use that as a secondary chimney"chase" if you will. The new chimney I am using is class A double wall insulated stainless steel with a 1.5" clearance to combustibles. Reading online it is the only chimney system available with that rating. Up to 1000 degree continuous operating temps and 2100 operating temps at a 10 minute spike.
I wasn't worried about hot temps I was more worried about cold temps. The chimney chase is essentially outside of the house although half of it is in the garage it is still cold. I thought by leaving the pipe and running the new one through it I would have a little extra insulating factor. There will be a one inch air gap between the two. I am hoping this will help with my draft and clean burning. I will also be able to utilize the old chimney cap as it mounts to the outside pipe.
I will stuff the ends of the gap with some insulation to keep the bugs and what not from coming down the pipe as well as holding in the heat.
I built a heavy duty stand to hold the entire new chimney in place and I also have it strapped in with wire. It may be overkill but oh well. There will be a service door located on the chase wall so I can access the clean out in the tee.I should be able to tie a garbage bag around the tee and go up on the roof and brush the chimney and everything will fall right in the bag.

attachment.php

With the install almost complete I need to turn my attention to the woodpile. I quit selling the wood because I was reaching my 2 year mark. I didn't want to get below that without replenishing it. The big unsplit pile is Hard Maple, oak, hickory and some cherry. All the Maple was cut green this spring. Everything else was cut green last summer. Today I will be splitting it all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have a few things lined up for cutting this year. A friend had some logging done and offered to share some of his tops with me. All Red Oak. Good Stuff!
I also have some more Hard Maple to cut once the crops are out of the field.

I will update more once the other pieces arrive and I get the stove in the house!

I'm with you on this whacky weather. Bought a Huskee 22 ton 3 weeks ago and have been splitting in the morning before work. It's been pretty nice, got 4 cord split and stacked. Went by TSC yesterday, the Huskee went on sale and they were giving away the log tray free. They gave me the $49 bucks back because I paid extra for it. When I walked back out in the parking lot the heat about knocked me out. Looked at the thermometer on the car and it said 111* in the parking lot. Yep, I'm ready for fall, Joe.

Subscribed!!

Congrats on your install. Looking forward to pics of your install as well that "third" layer of pipe will definitely help.

I am very interested in this thread. As I have a Pre fab with a 3 layer air cooled chimney. Been wanting to rip it out and install a BK Princess. But time and other projects always get in the way. Never thought about running Class A up the outer existing layer.

Updates on the install

I spent the day yesterday working on the chimney. I received my thimble and single wall adapter via FedEx on Thursday.

First thing I had to do was find the exact spot where the flue would run through the wall. I have a laser level that I held on the sides of the tee and it projected a dot onto the drywall and I just did that on all four sides. Simple enough. Once I found center of that it was just a matter of re-framing in the wall.
The crappy part was putting the diamond tipped blade on the circular saw and cutting the brick on the other side of the wall. It was like Mars in that room when I finished. Red dust everywhere. That is why I never painted that room when we moved in. I knew this was coming eventually! :tongue2:

Once framed I installed the thimble and the pipe. The pipe was originally stainless but I painted it black to match the rest of the pipe that will be inside. Because I bought the chimney off craigs list I was limited to how far the pipe protruded from the wall. Ideally I would like to only protrude a few inches out of the brick with the double wall and switch to single wall sooner. However that was what I had to work with and I didn't have the cash to order another section of double wall that was shorter. It will work for now. I can always replace it later.
As far as the horizontal run distance I think it is just about right for clearances on the stove.
Ideally I would like to be closer to the wall but there is drywall and studs behind that 1/2" brick overlay. It is still combustible.

attachment.php

I patched in the hole where the fireplace used to be with new framing and drywall. I have to order the brick to cover the drywall so it looks normal again.

attachment.php

In the garage I did a little re framing work so I could have an access door to get to the chimney clean out. I did cut a few inspection holes higher up on the chase to check things out. All appears to be in order.

attachment.php

Started putting the drywall back on the outside of the chase when the guy showed up to buy the fireplace insert.

attachment.php

My stepson showed up at the perfect time so he helped me move the stove inside. Momma brought me home an elbow and a 24" section of stove pipe and a flue damper so I can finish the install today.

attachment.php

I will be building a hearth as well just haven't got that far yet. A friend has some terra cotta looking tiles that may compliment the brick just right. I haven't got my hands on them yet but we will see.
I'll post more pics and updates when completely finished and also when the initial test runs commence!
Cheers,
-Bushman

I got all the rest of the pipes on yesterday. Installed a damper and also purchased a magnetic temp gauge for the pipe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm wondering if I could cut the outer shell on the double wall insulated and refit the adapter into it to make the transition to single wall so I can put the unit closer to the wall. I wouldn't mind a heat shield back there to radiate the heat forward anyways. I just think it would look better closer to the wall. I'm roughly 36" away right now.

Looks good from my house:msp_w00t: Honestly though it looks fine right where it is set.

Back