ginkgo saga part 2 - new stick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaylalala

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This morning I became a victim of a drive by planting. The landscaper removed tree #1 and replaced it with tree #2, which I will call "the stick." I'm guessing the stick to be 2 - 3 years old. I don't mind it's youth, although it's not what I contracted for. It will grow. It leans to the left a bit, which worries me just a little. It's tiny, wee graft is about 5 inches above the ground. It even has it's own branch, and a bunch of budding leaves that might be branches by this time next year!.

What do you think of the stick's prospects? Will staking get it to grow straight? Do I finally have a tree? The ginkgo I grew up with started from a stick, but I remember it as being totally vertical.

Picture attached.

(Note: The unruly pile of brown around the base of the tree is the result of me knocking the mulch about to see how deep it was.)

Well, I've seen it all now.

That's the replacement!

I wonder what you'll end up with if you complain now ... a hole in the ground.

I've no more to say.

kaylalala said:
(Note: The unruly pile of brown around the base of the tree is the result of me knocking the mulch about to see how deep it was.)
So did you find the flare?

Stumper's tight; apparently well-grown trees are so rare, we all may have overreacted to the cut. Yes staking will make it straight, but you may want to shift the rootball to verticalize it, as long as you're down there making sure the flare is at grade. Check also to see that the roots on the outside of the ball are pointing outward into fluffy soil--see New Tree Planting at the link below.

Re drive-by, I don't think the guy wanted to talk to you, so he left a bad feeling. A good reminder to us to communicate better with clients.

Just want to double-check

So it IS ok for me to dig it up and re-position it?

My mom the master gardener says I should just tell them to shove it. I'm going to try to make it work instead. I would really rather have this stick instead of the other tree, as long as the price is adjusted.

treeseer said:
So did you find the flare?

Stumper's tight; apparently well-grown trees are so rare, we all may have overreacted to the cut. Yes staking will make it straight, but you may want to shift the rootball to verticalize it, as long as you're down there making sure the flare is at grade. Check also to see that the roots on the outside of the ball are pointing outward into fluffy soil--see New Tree Planting at the link below.

Re drive-by, I don't think the guy wanted to talk to you, so he left a bad feeling. A good reminder to us to communicate better with clients.

I was several years ahead with that tree. But every time I looked at it I wanted to cry. I would rather grow this tree from a tiny stick. In a few years it will look better then the other one ever could.

Stumper said:
It should grow.Personally I think that you were ahead of the game with the "mutilated" tree. :angel:

Yes, it will be easy to reposition the tree, provided it was a balled in burlap tree and not a bare root. The tree is clearly planted too deep. Scrape away the mulch and carefully remove the soil until you reach the top of the ball. Open up the burlap, if it hasn't already been opened, and start to remove soil with a hand trowel, being careful not to scratch up the stem or roots too much. Eventually you will encounter the root flare, a natural widening of the stem where the stem turns into roots and grow out horizontally. This is where the ground level should be.
Don't get excited if you find one or two little roots coming off the stem, that's not the flare, those are just adventitious roots that are trying to develop because the soil is up against the stem. Small roots above the root flare can be snipped off with a hand pruner.
Get the ball loose and raise the tree to the flare level by packing some soil under the ball. You don't want to lift the ball by pulling on the tree, but you can put a little pressure on the tree, as long as it is secure in the ball.
To tilt the tree straight and raise it to the proper level, just stick a shovel in and pry against the root ball.
It's better to plant the tree a little high, than a little deep. Because the hole was dug too deep, it will settle a little.
In some cases, finding the root flare means digging half way through the ball, which can destabilize the tree in the ball. You may then have to stake it.
While you're at it, increase the size of the planting area. Remove the grass out a few more feet and break up the soil. This will invite the roots to grow out and away from the tree. Then cover it with some compost and decorative chips. This will supply organic matter and keep the roots cool and moist. No chips against the trunk or deeper than 3 or 4 inches.
If you really want to do it right, go to the nursery and pick up a couple more trees and plant a group. Trees love company, they complement each other. Trees in groups tend to do better and look more natural. :)

Latest posts

Back