greenhorn needs advice about vermeer 1250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circuit

Reaction score
need a chipper for clearing/cleaning up a large amount of land; looking for a while and ...

Just purchased a vermeer 1250; 910 hrs; 4 cyl dsl; seems to be in good shape except for bad hydraulic motor on one of the power feed drums (? it just doesnt turn). I have a lot to questions:

1) are these motors available used, or maybe rebuilt with exchange? or parts available?

2) What should be done (checked, etc) before using this machine (besides repairing the motor of course) ??? should the blades or anvil be sharpened?

3) How can i tell the year of this machine if the tag on the frame is gone?

4) Is 6500$ a decent price for this machine? or did i get ripped off?

5) reading through these posts, it seems like no one seems to like vermeer machines, this one seems to have some quality in its design? heavy duty, etc. whats the deal? im feeling bad (sniff) that i bought this

I used 1 for bout 7 years great machine.Had a perkins diesel in it.only prob we ever has was the box that controlled the wheels blew seals in it.I wouldnt be sad unless its got more issues than just a feeder wheel motor.I would definitly check the blades and maybe flip the anvil.910 hours would be a steal.

circuit said:
need a chipper for clearing/cleaning up a large amount of land; looking for a while and ...

Just purchased a vermeer 1250; 910 hrs; 4 cyl dsl; seems to be in good shape except for bad hydraulic motor on one of the power feed drums (? it just doesnt turn). I have a lot to questions:

1) are these motors available used, or maybe rebuilt with exchange? or parts available?

2) What should be done (checked, etc) before using this machine (besides repairing the motor of course) ??? should the blades or anvil be sharpened?

3) How can i tell the year of this machine if the tag on the frame is gone?

4) Is 6500$ a decent price for this machine? or did i get ripped off?

5) reading through these posts, it seems like no one seems to like vermeer machines, this one seems to have some quality in its design? heavy duty, etc. whats the deal? im feeling bad (sniff) that i bought this

I think you got a good deal. Make sure that wheel doesn't have stuff stuck in it. Even on my BC2000, it doesn't take much to stick the wheels. Vermeer isn't known for its hydraulic power but the machines are put together well. I have owned two (935 and 2000) and used 1250 and 1230 quite a bit. You will probably like working on the 1250 as it is designed well. Get the serial number to your local dealer and develop a relationship. They will help you find the year and get the parts. I don't know of aftermarket parts but I am not an expert on that end.. Good luck and don't fret on the price if it runs good! It will do tons of work.

Sounds like a really good deal. Of course with no serial number on it - who knows how it was obtained!!!

Back