Greenhouse surrounding OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkeatr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
after two years of work i fired up the magic heat chimney heat exchanger in the chimney of my OWB. I have been building a greenhouse around my OWB. It was 42 and sunny outdoors, and the heat exchanger immediatly raised the room to 80 degrees...and its only 20 percent insulated. Boiler was set at 170. The building is a combination wood storage building, greenhouse and in the second floor gable end its a deer stand. From the second floor i can access a trap door in chimney for a quick chimney sweep, so I dont burn out the magic heat with a chimney fire.

with less than two inches of foam around the CB OWB...ive got to fiqure this will greatly lessen the residual heat loss off the boiler when its 30 below, but I will find out more as it gets colder.

I will get some pictures at some point. I have trouble with the picture size..
anyway, my wife and daughter are not to thrilled...so I thought I would mention it here for other wood burning types.

Sounds like a hell of a greenhouse/storage shed/woodshed/deer blind.LOL!!:clap:

I have a buddy down in Indianna that has 6 greenhouses he heats with wood boilers. No way to afford it otherwise, and capturing every BTU is key!

Sounds like ya got a good system worked out. Mid Feb. will be the test though...

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Outstanding idea. I bought a HF green house for the wife, but it sits empty duing the coldest part of the winter....I refuse to use electric heat in the thing. It does give her a big jump on spring though.
Deer stand on one end???? My kinda guy! General gun starts Sat here....!

RD

with less than two inches of foam around the CB OWB...ive got to fiqure this will greatly lessen the residual heat loss off the boiler when its 30 below, but I will find out more as it gets colder.

CB insulates these units so well that I think use of the shelter to prevent heat loss may be negligible. The real advantage here is keeping You warm and your wood dry inside...open a Photobucket.com account and copy/paste the HTML code they provide for each pic. Then you can use any size photo you like.

IVE got two inches of polyiso foam at the plumbing door on my CB OWB..so that is only R fourteen or sixteen? not that much..maybe there is more foam in the hidden areas under the metal roof? oh well, it has to raise the efficiency at least a couple of percentage points!

anyway, i took som low resolution pictures...today..I will put them on after dinner..

the bubble wrap stuff is going to be covered with that alumflashing you will see against the sliding door. The sliding door will be a pocket door once i finish the inside.

i made a change during construction, you will notice the insulating greenhouse glazing goes above the second floor. Next year im going to cut that part of the floor out to make it a cathedral ceiling and have a lot more light. Ive done all the false ceiing framing for it but decided to cut that part out of this years work. Im trying to get it functioning before it gets cold!

This is a north country greenhouse...lots of insulation and glazing only where you need it on the south. Its bright in there but not like a real greenhouse.

exterior door on the garden side will be a sliding barn door complete with the small square windows above the door...thats a big feature here on our barns.

...i cant remember how much wood it holds..but its a years worth for us..we burn 96 percent wood...four percent saudi arabias finest.

eventually im going to cover it with board and batten..maybe with a red stain.

thanks for the interest..

barkeater

Latest posts

Back