Grinder Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescue1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,I hope your staying warm if you have this crazy cold weather...

I am looking to buy a Oregon grinder(Or whatever else is good) in the 200-300 dollar range. I noticed that they have many models that do a variety of chain sizes and was wondering what would be good for me in a bench mount unit. I also am confused as to what grinding stone to use because STIHL uses the 13/64 File. I am running both a Full Chisel,and Semi chisel STIHL chain in the 3/8 size on a 20-Inch bar.(RSC and RMC)

Thank you for the help and stay warm....:chainsaw::clap:

Hello all,I hope your staying warm if you have this crazy cold weather...

I am looking to buy a Oregon grinder(Or whatever else is good) in the 200-300 dollar range. I noticed that they have many models that do a variety of chain sizes and was wondering what would be good for me in a bench mount unit. I also am confused as to what grinding stone to use because STIHL uses the 13/64 File. I am running both a Full Chisel,and Semi chisel STIHL chain in the 3/8 size on a 20-Inch bar.(RSC and RMC)

Thank you for the help and stay warm....:chainsaw::clap:

Stihl is the only chain manufacturer that recommends a 13/64" file for their 3/8" chain (to my knowledge?) but 7/32" files work fine with 3/8" Stihl chain.
Using a standard 4.5mm wheel is OK and will work a treat.

Normally grinders are supplied with both a 1/8" and a 3/16" wheel, which covers most .325" and 3/8" chain.

There are lots of grinder threads. You can read them and make up your own mind.

You will see complaints and complements about every model. Apparently, quality control is a roll of the dice.

I recently acquired a Jolly Star (made by Tecomec, same as Speed Sharp, and nearly same as 511ax). It's not perfect but it'll do the job.

If you're not doing very many chains the Northern Tool grinder is a copy of the Oregon 511A and is a lot cheaper. There are a lot of people here that own them and like them. It does need to be modified out of the box but none of the mods are very hard and there are threads about what needs to be done to them. Mine seems to be working very good for me but I haven't ran any other grinders to compare it to.

The Oregon user's manual has instructions of which stones to use for Oregon chains. Bailey's has a chain cross reference chart so I'm just cross referencing my chains of other brands over to the Oregon brand and sharpening them the way that the Oregon chain is supposed to be sharpened.

I have a loop of .325 Husqvarna H23 and it gets sharpened with a 3/16" stone and I bought some .325 Woodland and it cross references to a chain that gets sharpened with a 1/8" stone. I haven't used them yet but when I do I'm going to try using the 3/16" stone on those too. If it works well I'll keep doing them that way to keep from changing stones.

I picked up a Northern Tool grinder on sale for $80 and have been pleased with it after doing some improvements. It had a nasty casting burr on the bottom of the vice assembly that prevented use of the tilt angle function. The grinding wheels are crap so I just got some Molemag wheels from Baileys. Perfect for non-production use.

I picked up a Northern Tool grinder on sale for $80 and have been pleased with it after doing some improvements. It had a nasty casting burr on the bottom of the vice assembly that prevented use of the tilt angle function. The grinding wheels are crap so I just got some Molemag wheels from Baileys. Perfect for non-production use.

:agree2:
It works great! Do a little searching and you will have tons of threads to read and with a few mods, the Northern Tool Grinder can be better than the Oregon!

I am looking to buy a Oregon grinder (Or whatever else is good) in the 200-300 dollar range.

Good choice. To balance the responses in this thread, I would vote for the name brand, Italian made grinders (Oregon, Tecomec, Speed Sharp, Jolly) versus the knock offs.

The Oregon 511ax is the current model (has self centering vice and does up to 3/4" ptich chain), but you may be able to find the 511a still available for under $300 which is fine for most of us mortals. Similar models for the other brands.

The Oregon mini-grinders, bar mount grinders, 12v grinders, self-clamping, etc. might have applications in certain situations, but the 511 series is the standard bench mount grinder and a good choice.

Couple of points:
- the larger diameter wheels (5-3/4") will cut faster and cooler than the smaller diameter wheels (4-1/8").
- the 5-3/4" wheels are more standard and easier to find.
- easier to find parts for the standard size, name brand grinders, and they keep their re-sale value if you decide not to keep it.
- the knock offs have copied castings, etc., but more quality problems noted and hard to judge things that you can't see, such as the motors.

Philbert

If price was not an issue, I would probably bought the Oregon 511. But, I went the Northern Tool route. Like most here have said, there was a casting burr on bottom of vise, easily removed. also got the better wheels from Bailey's. The Grinder works well, (so far) :)
Heck, I only have one saw that I paid more than $300 for. lol
Just get the best you can afford! Here is a pic of mine.

100_0119.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thank you everyone for the help,I was looking at that grinder and wondered how well it operated. I think I will buy it and give it a shot...:chainsawguy:

Back